Not exactly original, but classics are classics for a reason. This is great with fresh bread and a rainy day. Also, fry up a few pieces of bacon diced with onion if you have it. Totally unnecessary though.
3 leeks, white parts chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 large potatoes, peeled & chopped into 1/2″ chunks.
6C water, substitute part water if you have it.
a few knobs of butter
small glug of olive oil
salt and pepper
1. Saute the onions in the olive oil and a knob of butter until translucent. About 5 minutes.
2. Add the leeks and saute for a few minutes. Do not let brown.
3. Add the potatoes and water or chicken stock. Add 1t salt and several good grinds of pepper.
4. Simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Decide what kind of consistency you are looking for. If you want it chunky do nothing. If you prefer some smooth then either use a hand mixer or using a slotted spoon transfer some to the food processor.
6. Once you have the soup the consistency you want it stir in the 2 knobs of butter. If you want to be really gluttonous then stir in some cream as well.[/print_this]