I am sure every food blogger out there is also a food blogger reader. One of the blogs I read is Elise’s Simply Recipes. The other day it led me too discover Beyond Salmon. It was from this recipe that I was inspired to make this pasta. Asparagus is in season right now and it is wonderful. I grilled mine on an indoor cast iron grill as I live in a balcony-free apartment.
[print_this]Asparagus and Goat Cheese Pasta
1 package mild goat cheese or fresh buffalo mozzarella
2 portobello mushrooms
4 fresh greenhouse tomatoes or equivalent cherry tomatoes if in season
1 large handful asparagus.
handful of fresh basil.
package of penne or farfalle
1. Wash and trim asparagus. The trick with asparagus is to hold it at the bottom and at the middle and snap, it will naturally snap in the right place so as to leave you without woody ends.
2. Brush and trim mushrooms. Remove stems.
3. Drizzle both asparagus and mushrooms with oil.
4. If you have a barbecue put the mushrooms on and grill about 8 minutes each side, then grill asparagus until done about 1-3 minutes, rotating while cooking. If you don’t have a bbq (like me) Put the mushrooms in the oven and bake for 20 minutes at 350. meanwhile cook the asparagus in batches. You can always give the mushrooms a quick grill when they are done.
5. Slice asparagus into 1″ chunks, mushrooms, into small strips and then again in half. Chop tomatoes into a large dice.
6. Toss vegetables with hot pasta and add cheese and chopped basil.[/print_this]