Its that time again, the time when using a whole pound of butter in a recipe is justifiable – and in fact three batches of the treat are necessary. I am not really big on dessert but even I will indulge at christmas and this is one of my favorites which I only make at Christmas.
Hint: Cover the pan in parchment, then after the caramel has cooled you can simply lift the bars out onto a cutting board and cut much more easily.
I should comment that the picture for this really didn’t turn out so I didn’t post it. I think I will be making another batch for my brothers birthday in January so I will post a picture then…
[print_this]Caramel Pecan Squares:
6t brown sugar
1t lemon juice
1. Preheat Oven to 350F
2. Blend all shortbread ingredients in a food processor.
3. Press into a 10″ x 15″ pan and prick with a fork to avoid cracking.
4. Bake for 20 minutes.
Caramel and Pecan Layer:
3C whole pecans
3/4C brown sugar
3t heavy cream
1. When the shortbread is cool enough to touch spread the pecans over it in a single layer.
2. Melt in a heavy saucepan the butter and honey. Add the brown sugar and whisk together.
3. Bring to a boil whisking continuously. Cook until a dark brown, about 5-7 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and whisk in cream immediately. Pour caramel over the pecans, be careful because you can’t really redistribute it after its on the pecans.
5. Return to the oven for another 20 minutes.
Cool to room temperature before cutting.[/print_this]