Kale and Swiss Chard on the Grill Recipe

by katerina on June 11, 2009

Kale and Swiss ChardThis may seem strange but anything that grows in my garden needs to be able to be eaten raw or cooked on the grill. It helps keeps life, and dishes, simple. This is because at the cabin we have no dishwasher and a teeny kitchen so we try and cook outside as much as possible. Plus in the city I have neither a garden nor a grill so I like to take advantage of both when I can.

After the fabulous heatwave my kale and swiss chard were rocking out and needing to get eaten. So I did a wee experiment. I washed them and then sprinkled them with a bit of salt, pepper and olive oil and wrapped them up into a foil package and grilled it alongside some corn and shrimp.
The verdict? Excellent! I squeezed some lemon on top and it came out delicious. Some leaves were a little crispier like kale chips and others were more like steamed kale and swiss chard. Done and done.

[print_this]Grilled Kale and Swiss Chard

3 handfuls of greens per person
aluminum foil
salt and pepper
olive oil
fresh lemon

Wash the greens and chop or tear into large bite size pieces. Lay out two pieces of aluminum foil perpendicular to each other to form a cross.

Pile the greens in the center and sprinkle with salt, pepper and olive oil. Tighten up the aluminum foil to form an air tight pouch by gathering first the inner sheet then the outer sheet. When you are ready to grill, throw your pouch on and close the lid. I grilled mine for about 12 minutes over medium heat with the lid down. Remove to a plate, and carefully unwrap package. Drizzle the lemon juice on top and toss. Plate and serve.
[/print_this]
More Grilled Vegetable Recipes:
Grilled Eggplant with Oregano, Parsley and Garlic
Spaghetti with Swiss Chard
Beets with Balsamic and Rosemary
Spicy Grilled Summer Squash with Basil
Swiss Chard, Beef and Chickpea Soup

Shari@Whisk: a food blog June 11, 2009 at 4:56 pm

This looks too simple to be so good! Great idea!!

Peter M June 11, 2009 at 7:16 pm

Having just tried grilled Romaine lettuce for the 1st time – I can relate to this…sounds delish.

Dallas June 11, 2009 at 7:58 pm

I LOVE kale but have yet to try it with Swiss Chard, or cooked in this manner. Looks fantastic, and so simple.

Katerina June 11, 2009 at 8:02 pm

Shari – it is simple, I think thats why it works :)

Peter M – I really have to try that! It is a specialty of Raincity Grill here in Van apparently.

Dallas – I LOVE It too. Try the kale chips, seriously :)

Sylvie June 12, 2009 at 9:36 am

What a great new way of having kale.

lisaiscooking June 20, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Interesting! I've never tried grilling greens, but it sounds fantastic.

onno david June 26, 2009 at 8:18 pm

YUM! This sounds absolutely amazing! Looks good and I am sure it is delicious. I must give it a try as I also love swiss chard. We grow swiss chard in our garden and we love it! Lately I have found that eating too much of it makes my tongue feel weird, actually painful. Almost like it is swollen. Anyone else ever have this and know why it happens. thank you for sharing your post.

Katerina June 26, 2009 at 8:23 pm

onno david – I love it from the garden too, although I have never heard of a tingling tongue. Do any other similar plants give you this feeling, maybe you have an allergy?