Asparagus, Pea, and Lemon Risotto Recipe

by katerina on April 26, 2010

You can certainly not call risotto a light dish, but when you jazz it up with fresh spring vegetables, mint and lemon this is as fresh as it gets. This primavera risotto is lovely with grilled pork and a simple salad. Plus as far as risotto recipes go it is loaded with fresh vegetables.

Asparagus, Pea, and Lemon Risotto (1 of 3).jpg

For the vegetarian risotto use vegetable stock in place of the chicken stock. I actually finished off a wedge of Parmiggiano Reggiano grating it up for this dish and decided to use the rind by putting it into my simmering stock. Don’t discard the rinds of your hard cheese they can lend a lovely extra creaminess into dishes.

Asparagus, Pea, and Lemon Risotto (3 of 3).jpg

If you are feeling indulgent treat yourself by adding a few tablespoons of whipping cream at the end, I won’t tell.

[print_this]Asparagus, Pea, and Lemon Risotto Recipe
(serves 2-4)

2 tablespoons butter, divided
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup finely minced shallot
1 clove minced garlic
1 cup arborio rice
1 cup white wine, room temperature if possible
~ 1L chicken or vegetable stock (give or take)
2/3 cup fresh shelled or frozen peas
2 cups fresh asparagus (1 average bunch size)
salt and pepper
1/4 grated Parmesan cheese
6 large fresh mint leaves, chiffonaded
1/2 lemon, juiced
In a heavy pot melt half the butter over medium heat and add olive oil and shallot. In a separate pot heat the stock to medium. Sweat shallot for about 2 minutes then add garlic for another minute. Add rice and cook, stirring regularly for 2 minutes. Add white wine and stir until the rice has absorbed then start adding stock a few ladlefuls at a time until absorbed. Continue stirring regularly.

This is a great time to prepare your vegetables and grate your cheese. To prepare the asparagus first wash it. Then break off ends and cut into 1/2 pieces.

When risotto is almost done (still a firm bite). Stir in asparagus for 3 minutes then add peas. Keep stirring and adding stock as necessary. Start tasting and adjusting your seasoning. When just al dente stir in mint, cheese, lemon juice, and remaining butter. Taste and correct again. Serve immediately.
[/print_this]

Similar Recipes:
Zucchini and Lemon Risotto
Caramelized Leek Risotto
Fennel Risotto with Goat Cheese

Karyn April 26, 2010 at 6:25 am

yum. love the veggies in it and the color. it’s not really bright but the color is comforting in some way. maybe i’m just weird haha :)

Anne April 26, 2010 at 6:56 am

good work. I think vegetables are very important our daily life. I Hope my daughters will enjoy this dish. I have written a similar easy recipe recently. Thanks for sharing.

Mary April 26, 2010 at 7:39 am

Come visit my blog, I have an award for you in this post

katerina April 26, 2010 at 8:17 am

Karyn – anything with a wooden spoon in it I find comforting.

Anne – Nice! It is that time of year isn’t it.

Joanne April 26, 2010 at 10:48 am

Risotto and I have been on a serious kick lately. You threw two of spring’s best veggies in here, and with such lovely results!

Melanie B April 27, 2010 at 11:01 am

this looks really delicious! This spells out comfort food for me. I will definitely have to try it out since I’ve yet to make a real risotto

katerina April 27, 2010 at 11:11 am

Melanie – Good luck on your first risotto! My only caution is that you may want to read a “basic” risotto recipe first. The steps are virtually the same, but I didn’t go into explicit detail in my post.

iKat April 28, 2010 at 5:52 pm

i make perfect risotto in a slow cooker / the cooker i have has clamps holding the lid snug / one quart of homemade chicken broth with one cup arborio rice that has been rinsed and soaked a little while / takes about two and a half hours while you go outside to play in your garden / the cooker makes perfect broths as well / let it go all night for jellied chicken broth and/or beef broth / shorter time for vegetable broths

Kevin (Closet Cooking) May 1, 2010 at 10:09 am

This is a really nice spring risotto!

pronosher March 1, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Why is this called Asparagus, Pea, and Lemon Risotto Recipe when there’s no mention of lemon except in the title?????????

katerina March 2, 2011 at 9:41 am

pronosher – you are quite right! you should stir in lemon juice at the end, I have updated it.