3-Bite Cherry Clafoutis Recipe

by katerina on August 2, 2011

Clafoutis is a fancy french word for a crustless fruit tart made with a baked custard. The filling is soft, fragrant and sweet, with the texture of a lemon tart, punctured with chunky pieces of fruit. Classically cherries. These little clafoutis are baked in muffin cups so they are individually sized. Perfect for a party or a delicate presentation. Or so you can try and see how many you can fit in your mouth at once.

Traditionally clafoutis is made with un-pitted cherries but who wants to break their teeth on cherry pits? This recipe was adapted from a cookbook which is likely to always be on my shelf: the Joy of Cooking.

Mini Cherry Clafoutis

(makes 12)
Adapted from The Joy of Cooking

1 cup halved and pitted cherries
4 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 lemon worth of zest
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup milk (almond milk works)
3/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 325F. Prepare a 12 serving muffin tin. Silicone or non-stick works well but if you don't have a silicone one then instead grease it with butter or non-stick spray. In each muffin cup place 4-5 cherry halves.

In a large bowl beat together eggs, sugar, zest and vanilla until very well combined. Beat in milk. Stir in flour and salt. Divide the mixture between the muffin cups and transfer to the oven.

Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cooking Time: 40 minutes | Total Time:50 minutes

elly August 2, 2011 at 8:47 am

These are so cute! For some reason I never thought to make mini clafoutis, but I will now!

Rachel August 2, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I’m just wondering if these could be frozen. I’m getting a bunch of cherries next week(so this was a timely post:)) and I would love to freeze these. Rachel

Christa August 2, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I’m completely intrigued. I was trying to think what clafoutis was, and I could only think a kind of creamy fruit dessert. Yum! I can’t imagine leaving the pits in, that is funny…

I will try this soon, love cherries in baking anyway!

katerina August 2, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Christa – they worked really well, I kinda thought it might be a disaster, but it wasn’t!

Rachel – I am not sure but I doubt it would have the same texture after defrosting. Certainly this could be made with frozen (and pitted) cherries?

Christa – agreed, I don’t bake with cherries enough, although anymore baking and I may need a cherry pitter.

Jenn August 2, 2011 at 6:15 pm

I made these with my 8 year old son tonight and they came out perfect. We used it both as an easy cooking lesson but also as a math in action lesson and WOW! He loves it and I have a good protein filled dessert. Great recipe. And I had enough charries ot eat a ton while we waited for them to bake. We did use a hand cherry pitter!

katerina August 3, 2011 at 8:46 am

what an awesome story Jenn! Love the “math lesson” :)

LimeCake August 3, 2011 at 7:38 pm

This looks simple and so delightful! Cherries are my favourite stone fruit. Yum!

marla August 3, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Un pitted cherries?? Oh my. Pitted is the way to go with these. They look amazing!!

Sasha @ The Procrastobaker August 4, 2011 at 2:34 am

What a brilliant idea! Really, you are a baking genius :) They look adorably yummy, (almost) too good to eat!

katerina August 4, 2011 at 9:36 am

marla – yes, I think this is definitely the way to go!

Sasha – why thank you, I needed an ego fluffing this morning. :)

Bridget August 4, 2011 at 11:24 am

Are these best served warm, chilled, or at room temperature?

katerina August 4, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Room temperature, although they are good from the fridge too

Erika August 7, 2011 at 1:05 am

Just made these tonight and they are AMAZING! Thanks again for another great recipe.

I ended up adding some chopped 85% dark chocolate to half of them just to try it out. My husband and I agreed that the chocolate ones were even more to die for (but then we are both huge chocoholics). Either way, this is one great dessert. We shamefully ate them all in one sitting!

Erika August 7, 2011 at 1:07 am

Oh, and I forgot to say that I used chopped fresh apricot instead of cherries since I didn’t have any cherries. The apricots turned out very well we thought (better than I expected). Next time I’ll try cherries — because there will definitely be a next time for trying these!

trolling chick >8 D August 7, 2011 at 11:06 am

!!!!!IMPORTANT READ WHOLE THING!!!!!!
these were horrible my i baked them and they were to grisy :P IM JOKING NO THESE WERE AMAZING THEY CAME OUT AMAZING I ALSO PUT SOME chocolate they were gret both ways :D sorry i waz in a playful mood althought it wasent very harsh( i hope ) :D

Celeste August 7, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Hi,
I tried these with raspberries instead of cherries and had to make another adjustment…I realized I was out of sugar after I had already committed to making this…so, I did something really wrong I’m sure… I used brown sugar instead. Other than that, everything was the same…but about 15 minutes into the cooking time, they’d puffed up waaaaaay over the rims of the muffin tins.

Yikes! What happened?!

katerina August 8, 2011 at 9:07 am

Erika – chocolate too? I bet they were amazing! My husband really really liked these and as a chocoholic, I bet that would’ve gone over really well.

trolling chick – you caught me. I *almost* edited your comment, but I really try not to do that. and it is funny. Glad you enjoyed them.

Celeste – I would guess, and am about 99% certain that your oven is too hot. Eggs will have the potential to souffle (i.e. puff up) around 350F+. It is more likely to happen around 375F but that is likely what it was. What a shame! Buy yourself an oven thermometer. They are about $5 at grocery stores and worth every penny. (I actually wrote a post about it awhile ago) It is very helpful to actually know how hot your oven is and when it is at a certain temperature.

Melissa August 16, 2011 at 9:53 am

Made these last night with the intention of eating only one and bringing the rest to work to share with my coworkers. Hubby and I ended up eating 3 each so there wasn’t enough left to share at work!
I made half with spiced apples as Geoff doesn’t like cherries.
WOW these were yummy.
Mine did “souffle” a bit (not sure why, my oven temp is correct), but they shrunk back to mostly normal as they cooled

katerina August 16, 2011 at 10:28 am

So glad they worked out!!! Yeah, J keeps asking for more of those “eggy things”. lol