We had a whole crisper drawer full of apples to use up, so yesterday I was informed by my boyfriend that we needed to make an apple crisp. Since I occasionally play the role of dutiful girlfriend I stopped at the store and picked up some oats in preparation. Then I had a brain fart. I looked up an apple crisp recipe in the Joy of Cooking and went ahead and followed it – even though it contained no oats! Damn it. That will teach me to cook right after work. At any rate next time I will have to make what I consider a real crumble\crisp, one with oats!
This turned out pretty good and was a nice accompaniment to American Idol and a cup of tea. Beware that apples shrink when they cook, so this either makes 4 small portions, or two big ones! This is not the exact recipe but rather an adaptation.
Apple Crisp Recipe(1 8"x8" crisp)
Adapted from Joy of Cooking
1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
2. After peeling, coring and chopping up the apples put them in a baking dish so that you have more then one layer.
3. In a food processor mix together the dry ingredients. Add the butter evenly into the mixture and pulse until the butter becomes the size of coarse breadcrumbs.
4. Evenly distribute over the apples and give the dish a little nudge to shift some of the mix through the apples.
5. Bake for 45-60 minutes or until it is nice and browned on top.