Though exotic sounding, this Southeast Asian soup recipe is actually well disguised roast chicken leftovers. If you have a poultry carcass you can use it to make the stock you need or of course you can use bought stock and cook the chicken up as you cook the soup.
Tip: The soup is scented with lemongrass and lime leaves. Both of these ingredients freeze well, so when you see them available buy a bunch and stick them in your freezer (it is best to section the lemongrass into 1″ long pieces before freezing).
Aromatic Coconut and Chicken Soup Recipe(serves 4)
1. Heat the vegetable oil to medium low heat in a soup pot. Add the ginger and shallot and sweat for 5 minutes. Stir in the carrots, peppers and mushrooms and allow to cook for another few minutes without browning.
2. Add in the coconut milk, chicken stock, lemongrass, lime leaves, chicken, sriracha and fish sauce. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 25 minutes.
3. Taste and adjust seasoning with fish sauce or salt. Stir in green onions. Remove the lemongrass and lime leaves.
4. Stir in noodles and cook until just soft.
5. Divide the soup across bowls. Serve with cilantro and lime wedges on the side for people to garnish themselves.
Note: If making ahead of time, cook and store the noodles separately or they will turn mushy.