At this time of year comfort food becomes not only appropriate but downright necessary to combat the cold and rainy Fall weather. So even though these scalloped or gratin potatoes are a bit on the rich side, as they are loaded with bacon and cheese, they are a required evil.
I find gratin recipes great for dinner parties as like a stew or a curry the potatoes are even better when re-heated the next day.
Bacon and Parmesan Potato Gratin(serves 6)
1. Turn oven on to 400F.
2. Whisk together the milk, yogourt, nutmeg, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
3. Dice the bacon and place in a small skillet over medium heat. Allow to crisp, you can pour the fat off and into a medium sized casserole dish to grease it. When the bacon is crisped, turn off the heat and set aside.
4. Slice the potatoes and place in the milk mixture to prevent them from browning. Toss well.
5. Arrange the potato slices so they overlap in the casserole dish, creating three layers: one of potatoes, one of bacon and one of parmesan. You should be able to get 3 sets of those layers ending with potatoes. Pour any remaining milk mixture over top.
6. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for one hour covered. Uncover and bake for another 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick goes into the potatoes very easily. Allow to rest for at least 15 minutes before serving.