Balsamic Roasted Kabocha Squash Recipe

by katerina on November 18, 2010

As avid cooks and foodies we all want to discover new ingredients, have you tried to cook a kabocha squash recipe yet?

Kabocha Squash Recipe

Kabocha squash is a Japanese pumpkin with a dark green skin and a bright orange interior. Sweeter than butternut, it actually has a texture unique from any other squash I have had. The flesh has a thick starchiness not unlike a yam or a potato. The skin is thin and edible, and absolutely delicious roasted or deep fried.

Kabocha Squash Recipe

The kabocha squash recipe below is an ultra simple preparation of kabocha squash, but I urge you to try it out for yourself, it is my family’s new favorite.

Balsamic Roasted Kabocha Squash Recipe

1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
a pinch salt
1 kabocha or buttercup squash

Preheat oven to 350F. Cut squash into quarters and remove seeds. Use a fork to break up brown sugar and combine with balsamic and salt. Mix in oil. But squash flesh side up into a baking tray and pour over the flesh. Rub the sugar in to get it to evenly coat. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for an hour.

Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cooking Time: 60 minutes | Total Time:70 minutes

Kitchen Roadie November 19, 2010 at 1:06 pm

I have yet to try a kabocha squash. You now have me on the lookout for one! It looks delicious!

Karyn November 19, 2010 at 1:24 pm

this looks really good and simple. yummy, i wish i had seen this before hitting the grocery store up because i’d have been on the lookout for it!

melster June 27, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Good recipe, but to get the squash to a soft texture took closer to 2 hours.

katerina June 27, 2011 at 5:22 pm

melster – I am surprised by this, I don’t think I have ever roasted a squash for more than 75 minutes. Was it really big? Are you sure your oven got up to temperature?

Jennifer November 27, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Tried it. It was delicious – almost candy-like. I scooped the pulp out of the shell and mashed it into the juices. Served with roast pork, caramelized leeks and brussel sprouts.

Say, ‘yummmmmmm…’.

Thank you – you made an intimidating squash – not intimidating at all.

katerina November 29, 2011 at 10:20 am

Great idea Jennifer, yumm!

meredith December 22, 2011 at 5:47 pm

I’m with melster. My oven’s fine, and I followed the recipe as written; yet, it took two hours and even then only the centers of the quarters were soft enough.
Never having seen a kabocha squash before, I don’t know if it was unusually large. Sometimes it’s helpful for recipes to include an approximate weight — especially for an ingredient some readers might not be familiar with.

katerina December 24, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Thanks for the feedback, I will re-test this one :)

Caitlin January 20, 2012 at 5:54 am

Kabocha is my favorite squash for sure! Here’s another simple recipe with kabocha, white beans, and thyme. I love your idea of balsamic with kabocha so that might be a really delicious addition to this recipe: http://annarborfarmersmarket.blogspot.com/2012/01/kabocha-and-white-beans-with-quick.html