Beet and Potato Rösti Recipe

by katerina on September 26, 2011

Recipe updated September 2011 with new pictures and an updated recipe. When I recently found myself making this recipe over and over again I thought it was time for a repost.

Beet and Potato Fritter Recipe

This beet and potato roesti is a perfect appetizer eaten on the couch during a cozy night in. Eat the crunchy slices with your fingers, dipping them in sour cream or yogourt. Almost as good as homemade perogies.

Possibly explaining why I can’t stop making it?

Beet and Potato Rösti

1 large beet, About a 3/4 cup when grated
1 medium potato
salt and pepper
1 scallion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoons butter
greek yogourt or sour cream for garnish (optional)

Trim and scrub the beet and then peel them. Grate it into a medium bowl. Start preheating a large (12") skillet over medium heat. Working fast, so it doesn't discolour, peel and grate the potato into the same bowl as well. Add the salt, pepper, and scallions and combine well. Then add the flour a few tablespoons at a time until well combined.

Melt half of the butter in the skillet over medium heat until it foams. Put the mixture into the middle of the pan and flatten out with a spatula. It should be a centimeter or thinner. Cook for 10 minutes until nice and crispy.

You will need to flip it over. To do this place a large plate over top and flip the frying pan over so the roesti is on the plate. Add the remaining butter into the pan and then slide the roesti back into the pan. Cook until the other side is crispy about another 8 -10 minutes.

Serve hot or at room temperature with green onions and greek yogourt or sour cream on top.

Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cooking Time: 20 minutes | Total Time:25 minutes

Deborah August 6, 2008 at 5:23 pm

I’ve never had a roesti before, but it does sound delicious!

Paula August 6, 2008 at 8:38 pm

Oh gosh, this is the most creative use of beets that I’ve seen in a long, long time! This looks beautiful,and I bet it tastes delicious. Great, great post! YUM!

maybelles parents August 17, 2008 at 11:17 pm

delicious. oh, I could have this for dinner tomorrow…

kabonfootprint August 19, 2008 at 12:42 pm

Thanks for sharing your ideas, I been trying my best to learn how to cook (decent meals :-)) wish me luck! I could also share with you some best Filipino recipes, hope ur ok with Asian foods, because they are really delicious Busby SEO challenge

KabonFootPrint

Bellini Valli August 22, 2008 at 12:34 am

I’d venture to say that roesti are my all time favourite way with potatoes…and I love beets…so why not the two together:D

Holler August 24, 2008 at 9:52 pm

I can guess that was very, very tasty!

Katerina August 24, 2008 at 10:03 pm

Deborah – it is most definitely worth trying.

Paula – thanks, I wasn’t sure on the picture.

Maybelles parents – I hope you did make it!

Kabonfootprint – Good Luck

Bellini Valli – I really need to try this wih potatoes

Holler – it was, I have been thinking about it ever since.

bianca April 10, 2009 at 4:15 am

I have been making this dish non-stop! SO GOOD. Thank you so much for posting it!

Janice June 30, 2009 at 11:04 pm

I made the Mark Bittman Beet Roesti today and commented that it would be better with some grated potato. Wish I had seen your post earlier! I'll try this next time. Thanks!

Katerina June 30, 2009 at 11:08 pm

bianca – I am soo glad!

Janice – sorry about that. I am not quick enough eh?

Diana July 9, 2009 at 3:56 pm

I will have to try this tonight. My husband doesn't like beets, I simply sauteed them w/butter, salt and pepper (and carrots!) last time. We have 5 from our CSA so maybe having them crispy will be better. Does it still taste really beety? Is beety a word? :)

Katerina July 9, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Diana – yes it is still beety (totally a word, why not!?), those less so. I find beets are a pretty hard thing to disguise, and luckily I only served this to a fellow beet fan so it is hard for me to say…

v November 21, 2010 at 5:56 pm

this looks delicious – wonder if u could make it with spaghetti squash instead of potato to make it lower carb/calorie?

katerina November 21, 2010 at 5:57 pm

I think the challenge would be the amount of starch needed to get it to stick together? Let me know if you try though. Maybe kabocha squash?

Krista February 8, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Thanks for the suggestion!! I made my own version of this recipe on my blog (http://thebeetreporter.blog.com/2011/01/29/beet-and-potato-pancakes/), though made them smaller and thicker than your roesti to make them more like pancakes. Thanks for the inspiration, and they turned out delicious!

tiana September 27, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Great idea to add beets to this. I love beets but get so sick of having them the same few ways. Picture makes me sooo hungry. Nice tip on the flipping. I’ve been using that one for ages and it’s no-fail. Thanks again!

Jennifer (Delicieux) September 27, 2011 at 11:41 pm

This looks fantastic, I love the addition of beet in this rosti and the colour it adds.

jess white @athriftyfoodie September 28, 2011 at 4:31 am

Wow, just by adding beetroot you make a simple potato rosti look so proffessional!

katerina September 28, 2011 at 7:06 am

@tiana – thanks! I understand you can make it with 100% beets, but I like my version.

@Jennifer – yes, the colour is really amazing, I swear it actually does look like that too

@Jess – why thank you.

Nicole Pelletier October 22, 2011 at 8:07 pm

This was delicious! Thanks so much for the recipe!!

Jenny January 24, 2012 at 11:43 am

I have lots of home canned beets-do you think that this would work, or would they be too mushy?

katerina January 24, 2012 at 11:45 am

Sorry Jenny, but you want to use raw beets, I am afraid it would be too mushy.