There is nothing like some gooey cheesey goodness to make a bad gray day fade away. Everything outside is drab and almost always drizzling. I don’t care if everyone is on diets this time of year I just want comfort food. So I adapted a blue cheese macaroni and cheese recipe and made a big batch which was delicious and made a great lunch for the next day. Oh, and if you serve the macaroni and cheese with a salad I believe it becomes a healthy meal. I have made macaroni and cheese with cheddar and broccoli before and even with butternut squash, but this blue cheese mac and cheese is something truly extraordinary.
Blue Cheese Mac & Cheese(serves 4-6)
Adapted from Superspark
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Bring a large salted pot of water to a boil.
2. In a small saucepan heat the milk with the bay leaves over medium-low heat. When small bubbles appear along the sides, turn off the heat.
3. Under cook the pasta by two minutes. Drain it, rinse it quickly to stop the cooking, and put it in a large bowl.
4. In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter; once it starts to foam add the flour and cook, whisking until the mixture starts to brown. Remove the bay leaves from the milk, and add about 1/4 cup of the milk to the hot flour mixture, whisking continuously. Once it is smooth add a bit more milk and continue until all milk is combined. Stir in cheddar. Taste for seasoning, remember.
5. Add the sauce to the noodles, stir in the Parmesan and adjust for seasoning. Fold the blue cheese in. turn the pasta into a casserole dish to with breadcrumbs and bake until bubbling and the crumbs turn brown, about 15 minutes. You can broil it at the end if the crumbs aren’t browning.