If you still haven’t tried savoy cabbage make this your moment as the season is short. Pick up a head of cabbage now, use half for this chicken dinner recipe and save the rest for a simple side dish or even a nice pasta or risotto. The texture is so soft it almost melts when cooked and you will love its sweet and nutty flavor.
Braised Chicken Thighs with Bacon & Savoy Cabbage(serves 2)
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Place the diced bacon into a lidded saute pan or medium dutch oven and place on medium heat. Stir occasionally until crisp. Use a slotted spoon to remove from the pan and reserve.
3. Pat the chicken thighs dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and then toss with the flour. Place in the pan and brown on both sides. Add the onion and saute along with the chicken until softened. Add the wine to the pot and stir to get any good brown goodness from the bottom of the pan.
4. Return the bacon to the pot and stir in the cabbage. Place a lid on the pan and reduce heat to medium low. Check every few minutes and stir until cabbage has wilted. At this point there should still be about a 1/2 cup of liquid in the pot - if not add some water. Transfer to the oven and cook for 15 minutes.
5. After 15 minutes are up, check the cabbage and the chicken. Give it a good stir and move the chicken on top of the cabbage. Remove the lid and return to the oven for 15 minutes.
6. Check that the chicken is cooked and seasoned properly with salt and pepper. Serve hot with roasted potatoes.