Cadbury Creme Egg Cupcake Recipe

by katerina on March 28, 2011

Sweet mother of all things that are merciful on this planet, make these cupcakes at your own peril. Your teeth will hurt, your entire kitchen will be sticky, and you will need to buy new jeans.

Easter Cupcakes Recipe

But if you do make them, and I am not saying you should, you will have a gooey chocolate cupcake with a luscious sugary center and a caramelized sugar bottom. 100% inspired by my favorite novelty candy – the Cadbury creme egg.

This cupcake recipe was adapted from a homemade Cadbury Creme Egg recipe and an older chocolate cupcake recipe. By baking some filling inside the cupcakes you should end up with a caramelized sugar lined hollow cupcake to fill with the icing. If anyone can think of another way to elegantly hollow out the cupcakes, I would love to hear it.

Now, if you are really brave, put one of these cupcakes in the microwave for 15 seconds and then top it with banana ice cream. I double dare you.

Cadbury Creme Egg Cupcake

(12 cupcakes)

1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup golden corn syrup
3 cups icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
yellow food colouring (optional)
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar

2 eggs, separated
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, roughly chopped

2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder

½ teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon salt

1 ¼ cups milk
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup butter, softened

First you will want to prep the "creme egg" filling. Beat 1/4 cup of the soft butter until fluffy. Add syrup, icing sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla and beat until well combined. If desired, stir in some yellow food colouring until a pale yellow. Reserve in fridge and let set up.

Turn oven on to 350F. Grease a muffin tin and line with paper cups. In a double boiler melt the unsweetened chocolate, stirring regularly. You can start mixing the cupcake batter while it melts and then turn the double boiler off when the chocolate is melted. These cupcakes are easiest in a mixer, but can be done with a hand mixer or even an able pair of hands. Beat butter until light and fluffy and add in sugar until well combined. Separate the egg whites into a large bowl and beat the egg yolks into the sugar one at a time. Slowly add in melted chocolate and vanilla.

In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Alternately fold in dry ingredients and milk in a few batches. Don't over mix! Beat the egg whites to soft peaks and fold in.

Divide the batter into the muffins cups. Remove the creme filling from the fridge and roll out 12 balls no bigger than a centimeter in diameter. In the centre of each cupcake press in a ball of filling as deep as possible. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Bake for 35 minutes.

Transfer cupcakes to a rack and let cool.

In the meantime combine the last 1/4 cup of butter with the remaining creme filling and beat until uniform. Transfer to a piping bag. The cupcakes should have little holes in the middle. Put your icing into a piping bag and pipe a dollop into the centre of each cupcake. Amazing when eaten just a little bit warm, of course then you risk the icing melting, but it really isn't that bad now is it?

Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cooking Time: 25 minutes | Total Time:60 minutes

Belinda @zomppa March 28, 2011 at 5:58 am

Oh, gee, these could be illegal. AND banana ice cream? Bring it on!

Krithi March 28, 2011 at 9:08 am

Oh My.. My.. Looks absolutely gorgeous and delicious…

Melissa@EyesBigger March 28, 2011 at 11:02 am

oh.
wow.

you are brilliant.

katerina March 28, 2011 at 11:08 am

Belinda – they really are very decadent!

Krithi – glad they look good

Melissa – thanks, I can never get sick of hearing something like that.

blogbytina! March 28, 2011 at 2:27 pm

awesome! I am so glad when others love cadbury eggs as much as I do. I get a lot of grossed out looks from people when I mention them. what is wrong with people! ;)

Spike March 28, 2011 at 4:30 pm

oh wow, those look even better than creme eggs!

melissa @IWasBornToCook March 28, 2011 at 5:02 pm

My all time favorite candy. You are KILLING me!

Kevin (Closet Cooking) March 28, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Those look so decadently good! Great take on the cream eggs!

Kat @ Cupcake Kat March 28, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Oh wow this is so cool. I definately want to try this

Karyn March 28, 2011 at 8:02 pm

oh my god. do you follow jess (Seejessrun) at all? I totally just sent her this because they’re a fav of hers. but these look heavenly.

katerina March 29, 2011 at 8:55 am

Spike – not sure they are better, but they hit that craving!

Melissa – it is one of mine too. That and twizzlers. Oh dear, I just had another idea.

Kevin & Kat – Thanks! Let me know if you try them!

Karyn – I used to, though I haven’t been running much so I haven’t been reading much…. do pass them on!

Melissa March 29, 2011 at 9:51 am

oh.my.
I am soooo making these.
Unique, fun and delicious – a dangerous combination!

Starstruck April 6, 2011 at 9:24 pm

“If anyone can think of another way to elegantly hollow out the cupcakes, I would love to hear it.”

I’ve seen contraptions for sale that have a frame of twelve dowel-type things that stick down into the batter when you fit it over your muffin tin, so that the cupcakes rise up and around the indentations as they bake. I’ve never tried it, so I’m not sure how messy they turn out.

katerina April 7, 2011 at 9:34 am

contraption? lol. Not sure I a much one for contraptions, though I was totally imagining the same sort of thing!

Rose Gold April 10, 2011 at 12:22 am

WOW! The combination is so wonderful and it makes me mouth watering. I love to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

katerina April 10, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Rose – let me know if you do!

Maria April 17, 2011 at 7:04 am

I tried this and the center filling cooked right out, there was an empty hole in the middle of each cupcake! I cooked it less time than the recipe said
I would not try again b/c I see no way to correct that problem, unless you want to try either cooking more like 20 min or adding the center halfway through the baking time.

katerina April 17, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Maria – I am sorry to hear that! I actually really liked the way the sugar melted and caramelized on the bottom. This is the way mine worked too (if you read the post). Just fill with icing. :)

kait March 8, 2012 at 1:38 pm

these did not taste like cadbury eggs at all. I wasted a lot of time on these cupcakes. they actully sucked a lot.

katerina March 20, 2012 at 11:35 am

Dang, @Kait sorry to hear that. I will obviously need to try these again and double check the recipe.

Becky March 23, 2012 at 9:52 am

Another idea for ‘elegantly hollowing cupcakes’ is to use an apple corer. When the cupcakes are baked and cooled, you stick your apple corer down the center of your cupcake, give it a bit of a twist, and remove. Voila! A hole in your cupcake, and a little nibble of cake to taste as well!

The only thing to watch out for is that you’re not SO enthousiastic that you tear a hole in the bottom of your papers!

sarah butler March 23, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Hi, how about using an apple corer to hollow the cake out x