Caramel Pecan Shortbread Cookies Recipe

by katerina on February 23, 2011

This shortbread recipe is a perfect union between sweet and salty. Caramel and pecans will always make a good pair but crumbly shortbread is the perfect vessel for them.

Plus, if your inner 7-year old is alive and well, as mine is, you will love drizzling caramel over these cookies. Even if the table, and all of your dishcloths, will drip with pecan-dotted caramel afterwards. Luckily, you won’t care as you will be in the throes of a sugar rush. Once you have calmed down and cleaned up, serve these with a hot cup of tea.

Caramel Pecan Shortbread Cookies

(2 dozen cookies)
Adapted from Shortbread Recipe from Food Network Canada

1/2 cup pecans
1C butter, softened
1/2 cup + 1T icing sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup toffee or caramel candies
3 tablespoons whipping cream

Preheat oven to 350F. Heat a fry pan on medium low and add the pecans. Toast gently, tossing regularly until fragrant. This should take about about 5 minutes. Remove and allow to cool. Place two thirds of the pecans into a ziploc bag and crush with the back of a pot. Keep the remaining third for garnish.

Beat butter until nice and fluffy then beat in icing sugar and then cornstarch. Stir in flour and salt, followed by 1/4 cup of the crushed pecans. Drop tablespoon-sized mounds onto a cookie sheet. Roll each mound into a ball. If desired press a pecan onto the top of the cookies. Bake for 18 minutes, rotating trays halfway through cooking. Transfer to a rack and let cool.

Once cookies have cooled for at least 15 minutes you can start the caramel drizzle. In a small saucepan combine the toffees and the cream. Turn the heat on to medium low and melt them together, stirring regularly. Once it is uniform and bubbly you are ready to drizzle. Put cookies on a rack for drizzling. I recommend setting this rack on top of a paper line sheet for easy cleanup. Now drizzle away, be careful the caramel will set quickly and be harder to deal with. You can always reheat as necessary. Top drizzle with extra pecan crumbs if desired.

Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cooking Time: 30 minutes | Total Time:45 minutes

Karyn February 23, 2011 at 3:33 pm

anything with caramel is a-okay in my book! i’ve gotten into the sweet/salty combo lately (normally i only do salty) but lately i’ve been down with sugar rushes. are the cookies themselves soft or do they harden?

katerina February 23, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Karyn – I am into it too. I use to be strictly a salty girl, but the older I get the more sweets I crave. The shortbread is soft, not hard, but shortbread has a different texture than your average cookie, it is more delicate and crumbly because of the lack of eggs. It is the same the next day

Joanne February 24, 2011 at 8:27 am

My inner child wants these. Now. It may have a tantrum. Love this sweet and salty mix! It’s my favorite way to have dessert.

katerina February 24, 2011 at 8:36 am

Joanne – love it. My inner child isn’t too prone too tantrums, but the lack of these cookies may also cause a problem!

Mary @ Delightful Bitefuls February 24, 2011 at 10:28 am

This includes ALL of my favorite things!!!! Totally making these this weekend!!

Great blog; happy I found you!

Mary xx
Delightful Bitefuls

melissa @IWasBornToCook February 24, 2011 at 11:11 am

These look amazing! My inner and outer child both want them :)

katerina February 24, 2011 at 11:19 am

Mary – thrilled you like the site. I have such a weakness for butter, pecans and caramel too!

Melissa – outer child? Do you still have pigtails? ;)

Lisa @ Sweet as Sugar Cookies February 27, 2011 at 11:05 am

Mmmm, that caramel makes your cookies look irresistible. I can’t imagine that anyone would be able to eat only one of those. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog until tomorrow night and I’d like to invite you to stop by and link your cookies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-6.html

Rose Dipped March 3, 2011 at 2:36 am

This is so yummy! I love caramel so I will be putting your recipe on my recipe file. I will try this recipe of yours by weekend. My kids will surely love these caramel-y cookies.

katerina March 3, 2011 at 7:52 am

Lisa – it is impossible to eat just one.

Rose Dipped – Let me know how it goes!

Piano Schoenhut March 6, 2011 at 2:27 am

Caramel! This is so yummy. I will be visiting the orphanage and I think this will be a perfect treat for the kids. Thanks for sharing.

katerina March 6, 2011 at 10:03 am

Piano – I hope they like it! Let me know how it goes :)