I made a beautiful roast chicken last night and even had success with my gravy, I think is the best it has ever been! My gravy abilities are not stellar though… so I am sure anyone out there with good gravy skills could give me some pointers. However we ate it so fast there were no pictures, surely a good sign. I can’t use any of the gravy cheaters though – as they have too much MSG for my body to handle.
Chicken Gravy(1 1/2 cups gravy)
1. Remove your chicken and veggies from the roasting tin and pour off all the fat. Turn the heat on to medium and let the pan get hot.
2. Meanwhile in a small saucepan sauté the shallots in butter over medium low heat. Continue stirring the shallots until they start to brown.
3. When the roasting pan is hot add 1 cup of chicken stock. Using a wooden spoon scrape the brown bits of the pan until they become part of the chicken stock. When you have gotten all the flavour off it, turn the heat off under the pan and set aside.
4. Add the flour to the shallots and whisk. Cook for 2 minutes, whisking regularly. Add the chicken stock/pan drippings (holding back a bit of the other chicken stock) while whisking. Turn up the temperature to medium and allow to simmer whisking occasionally until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. If it gets too thick add more chicken stock.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper, strain through a fine mesh sieve and serve immediately.