Creamy Shrimp with White Wine and Potatoes

by katerina on May 7, 2013

Our weather is in that strange zone where one day it feels like summer and the next it feels like winter and as such my cooking seems to oscillate between light salads with grilled foods, and starchier heavy dishes.

Shrimp chive and cream

This creamy shrimp recipe is somewhere in the middle and can work no matter what kind of weather you are having. Serve with crusty bread for the sauce and a light salad to balance it’s richness.

Creamy Shrimp with White Wine and Potatoes

1 pound of large shrimp, shells on
2 cups, washed and chopped new potatoes
1 teaspoon olive oil
a tablespoon of butter
1/2 onion, diced
pinch chili flakes
1/3 cup white wine
1/2 cup grape tomatoes
2 teaspoons corn starch
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons freshly chopped chives and parsley

Turn the oven on to 400F. Shell the shrimp, reserving the shells in a bowl. Heat a large saucepan to medium high heat. Add the shells, and shake regularly until pink. Add in 2 cups of cold water and bring to a simmer. Let simmer while you roast the potatoes and make the sauce.

Toss the potatoes with the olive oil and put on a sheet tray. Place in the oven to roast for 10 minutes. In the meantime heat a medium saute pan to medium heat and add the butter. Add the shrimp, the chili flakes, plus a pinch of salt and pepper and saute until pink on both sides but not cooked through. Add the white wine and bring to a simmer. Simmer until reduced by half. Add the potatoes and the tomatoes to the shrimp. Strain the shrimp stock and add in 3/4 of a cup of shrimp stock. Bring mixture to a simmer and continue until shrimp are cooked through.

Whisk together the corn starch and the cream and quickly stir in to the shrimp. Bring to a simmer and taste for seasoning. Adjust as necessary, and sprinkle in herbs. Serve hot with crusty bread.

Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cooking Time: 25 minutes | Total Time:30 minutes

Gem May 7, 2013 at 8:17 pm

1. Like the way this handles the shells; it’s different from my usual – I just simmer without the precooking. Must try it your way.
2. Sounds like putting pasta sauce on potatoes! What an idea. Think I’ll try this as written and as a sauce for one of the wide pastas.
3. Is shrimp a “staple” in your pantry? There’s a place in Lexington that has Gulf (of Mexico) shrimp all the time and at a reasonable price. I keep a pound or so on hand at all times. This recipe shows how quickly and easily shrimp can be turned into a killer entree.

katerina May 11, 2013 at 10:56 pm

With a sauce like this I don’t love having to get your fingers dirty – but I still like the flavours you can get from the shells.

Yes shrimp is a staple in my pantry – actually in my freezer :)

Angela - My Personal Accent May 8, 2013 at 7:05 am

This sounds fabulous! I am going to try this for my family this weekend. I think it is something I can realistically tackle as a novice or at least attempt..lol. Thanks for posting it and inspiring me.

katerina May 11, 2013 at 10:55 pm

It is definitely not a hard one, let us know how it goes!

NancyL May 11, 2013 at 11:50 pm

My family loved this! Although it would need the mussels, fish, and leeks (and you’d have to ditch the tomoatoes) this dish gave me a flash back to an excellent bowl of waterzooi I had in Brussels once upon a time. Very quick and easy, loved the the shell sauté for the stock – very flavorful. Thanks!

katerina May 12, 2013 at 3:12 am

Awesome! Love that I inspired something :) Plus you reminded me that I should totally do up some mussels… great point!

Gerlinde in Dallas May 18, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Wow! This looks so good!

JoEllen Zumberge May 23, 2013 at 5:17 pm

We just made this for dinner and we LOVED it (my husband and I). The potatoes were different – he would have preferred pasta, but I loved that I could put a little more chili flakes in and the potatoes soak it up to make the ‘bite’ just right.

Thank you, Katerina. We’re starting to like your recipes more than Cooks Illustrated! And we’d love to see more of those ‘antique’ Bon Appetit ones.

Cheers!

katerina May 23, 2013 at 5:20 pm

So sweet, thanks JoEllen :)