Eggplant, Zucchini, Kale, and Tomatoes with Whole Wheat Penne Recipe

by katerina on July 1, 2009

This recipe is about some beautiful eggplant I purchased at the Kitsilano Farmers Market. All I had to do was saute it for the right amount of time with some fresh zucchini and kale, toss with some sweet tomatoes to balance out it’s bitterness and I was rewarded with the perfect healthy comfort food. And yes, of course, I added a few tablespoons of goat cheese to bring it all together.

Vegetarian Pasta Recipe

Goat Cheese is the new butter. You heard it here first.

For more easy pasta recipes, you can check out my post on 5 Easy Pasta Recipes.

Eggplant, Zucchini, Kale, and Tomatoes with Whole Wheat Penne

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small red onion, diced
2 medium eggplants, medium diced (about 1/2-3/4" cubes)
1 clove garlic, de-germed and crushed
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or 3 small dried thai chiles, crushed
1 medium zucchini, medium diced
1 cup kale leaves roughly chopped (you just want the leaves, remove stems first)
1 cup canned whole tomatoes
3 tablespoons goat cheese
salt and pepper
2 portions whole wheat penne pasta

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, in the meantime prep all your veggies and heat a large skillet to medium heat. When the water starts to boil add pasta and set your timer. Meanwhile add oil and onions to skillet and saute for 2 minutes, or until onions start to soften. Add eggplant, garlic, chiles and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring often until browned about 6-8 minutes. Continue adding veggies and sautéing, add zucchini and cook for another 2 minutes, then add kale for 1 minute, and finally tomatoes. Give it all a good stir and let simmer for a minute or two, or until pasta is ready. Save a little pasta water just in case. Add pasta to skillet, crumble goat cheese on top and toss well. Add salt and pepper and correct to taste. Serve hot.

Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cooking Time: 10 minutes | Total Time:15 minutes

katiez July 1, 2009 at 5:21 pm

Summer garden pasta…. I love it!
(My entry is being typed now)

Jen July 1, 2009 at 5:52 pm

Fantastic photo–

Zoe July 1, 2009 at 11:29 pm

Wonderful! I can't wait to join pasta presto nights again, is the deadline friday?

Katerina July 2, 2009 at 12:08 am

Zoe – They are every week, so if you miss one you can always join the next weeks. Check out the rules here:
I will probbaly most Friday morning, so say… 8am PST this Friday?

Ruth Daniels July 2, 2009 at 5:07 pm

How healthy and awesome is that! And perfect for South Beach Dieting…at least after next week. It's bookmarked!

Looking forward to the Presto Pasta Night Roundup.

climbhighak July 2, 2009 at 5:16 pm

Simple recipes like this with the freshest ripe ingredients are my favorite.

I am still not sold on store bought whole grain pasta.

Katerina July 2, 2009 at 5:20 pm

Ruth – I think it is terribly funny that the originator of Presto Pasta night subscribes to the South Beach diet at times!

climbhighak – I actually agree with you, I have found some really yummy imported stuff at whole foods which isn't cheap and besides that I am stilling looking. This penne wasn't the greatest but I was craving penne. I actually find the store-bought noodle that holds up the best is macaroni.

Nupur July 3, 2009 at 9:30 pm

That's just beautiful- brimming with some of my favorite vegetables, and a nice new way of using kale.
I'm one of those who can't stand the taste of goat cheese :( (husband loves it, I hate it) but it would taste just as good without any cheese, I think.

The Food Hunter July 4, 2009 at 2:19 am

This looks delicious and very healthy. I love it

Kevin July 4, 2009 at 8:57 pm

That is a tasty way to enjoy Summer's bounty. I like the use of the goat cheese.

healthy ashley July 8, 2009 at 5:32 pm

Um, YUMMM!!!!!!!!!

sara July 10, 2009 at 3:55 pm

That looks fantastic. I see a running theme of goat cheese loving here. I want to like it, I really do, but I just don't. I would definitely try this with another cheese though, maybe some ricotta.

Katerina July 10, 2009 at 3:59 pm

sara – feta maybe? Sorry I do use a lot of goat cheese, can't help myself.

Jacqueline July 12, 2009 at 1:43 pm

My mouth started watering when I saw that first photo. I would love this dish. What a great combination of flavours. Yum!

Kristi October 7, 2009 at 6:55 pm

How many calories would you say is in this?

Katerina October 7, 2009 at 7:46 pm

Kristi – it would depend on the size of your portion of pasta. If it is a cup of pasta per person, then probably less then 300. I did the estimates here http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php

Kristi October 7, 2009 at 8:39 pm

Thanks, Katerina! That is so helpful – I haven't tried the recipe calculator before…I will have to use that more often!

Katerina October 7, 2009 at 8:41 pm

No problem, always glad to be able to help!

Mugwump101 February 15, 2010 at 9:39 am

The Kale takes a while to wilt, so should I put in the kale earlier or maybe stem it when I insert it in?

Thanks for the recipe. Can’t wait to try it :D

katerina February 15, 2010 at 9:53 am

Mugwump101 – yes definitely stem the kale! Sorry if that wasn’t clear I will update the entry. The kale will cook for a few minutes, but if you are worried throw it in earlier. The nice thing about kale is that it is tolerant to longer more precise cooking then other greens like spinach.

MikeyP May 3, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Just found this site, and tried this out tonight. It’s even more delicious than it looks!

katerina May 3, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Mikey – I am thrilled you enjoyed it, come back often :)

Caitlin June 8, 2010 at 12:03 pm

I love Goat Cheese and I love all the vegetables you included in the recipe. Can’t wait to try it out tonight! Thanks!

Amber June 30, 2010 at 6:33 pm

I found this via google and it worked perfectly for the veggies coming out of our garden. I was a bit skeptical b/c it looked so healthy, but it was delicious! I had to sub feta for the goat cheese (not available at my local market), but it still turned out great. Thanks so much!

katerina July 1, 2010 at 9:47 am

Amber – Feta would be a wonderful addition, aren’t you lucky to have so many veggies in your garden. I currently just have leafy greens. Very glad you enjoyed the recipe!

Angelique August 30, 2010 at 11:11 am

Heya!

Love this recipe! Just so you know I am totally going to tweet this today. Also… one of my personal favs on ur blog. XO

P.S Keep me posted on what’s been going on with you! It’s been a while :)

Blueberry32 September 19, 2010 at 9:30 pm

I chanced upon your blog looking for a recipe, but this is a really great recipe- it looks and sounds so good! Will let you know how it turns out.
I am a vegetarian and just moved to the States, I look forward to your blog to use American produce in fun ways!

Cara April 24, 2012 at 10:20 am

What a fantastic mix of colours and taste! I also share your love of goat’s cheese and unfortunately don’t have any in the house but it tastes good without. Can’t go wrong with those ingredients…

katerina April 24, 2012 at 11:48 am

great to hear Cara!

Penny July 22, 2012 at 7:07 am

Just made this. It’s delicious even without the goat cheese and pasta. Making some coucous and heaping it the vegetables on top.