I have had nothing but success with flatbreads on the grill. It always seems like a dodgy expedition to put a raw, dangly, piece of dough on a barbecue. (Will it fall through the grate? Will it stick?) But every time I have tried it, I have been so pleased with the flavour of the crust and the rustic look it produces.
I would thoroughly suggest trying a simple foccacia, pizza, or naan bread like this. It only takes a few minutes per bread, and there is nothing like biting into the salty warm product. Your fingers should be shiny with olive oil when you are done, at least until you lick them clean.
Miniature Grilled Tomato & Oregano Fougasses(makes 8)
Adapted from Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day
1. Follow the recipe to make and prep the dough. When you are ready to make the bread remove dough from the fridge and let come to room temperature, about an hour.
2. Combine all filling ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
3. Divide the dough into 8 small balls. Form them one at a time, leave the rest covered.
4. On a well floured surface press and stretch out the dough until it is flat and about 1/2 ” thick. Sprinkle some of the filling on top of the dough. You want it evenly distributed across the top but leaving a border near the edge. You want about a tablespoon of filling per 3 square inches.
5. Now roll it up like a jelly roll and pinch the ends. Gently press back down into a flat rectangle. Some tomatoes and filling may pop through, that’s okay. Use more flour if you find this too sticky. Using a knife make a few slits in the dough and gently pull apart with your fingers to form holes in the dough. Place on a sheet of parchment while you repeat with the rest.
6. Get your barbecue nice and hot. Turn one side all the way down. Grease the grill to help prevent sticking and place the mini fougasses on the cool side of the grill. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Meanwhile grab a brush and put some olive oil in a bowl. Turn the breads and brush with oil. Cook for approximately another 5 minutes, watching to avoid letting the bottoms burn.
7. Eat warm.