Healthy Peanut Butter Coconut Oatmeal Cookies Recipe

by katerina on November 11, 2009

So I gave it away in the title, but you don’t have to tell people this cookie recipe is healthy. Sure these peanut butter oatmeal cookies have whole wheat flour, high fiber oats and less sugar then your average cookie but they are still delicious and satisfying. They actually make an excellent breakfast when paired with a cup of coffee.

If you wanted to make these peanut butter oatmeal cookies even healthier you could reduce the oil further, if you want something a little more decadent use non-natural peanut butter and add chocolate chips. Feel free to omit the coconut from the recipe if your family aren’t coconut fans but I think it makes them interesting and really works with the peanut butter in the cookie.

Peanut Butter Coconut Oatmeal Cookies

(24-30 cookies)

2/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup coconut
3C oats
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 375F.    Beat together oil and peanut butter then beat in eggs, sugar and vanilla. Stir in coconut. In a separate bowl mix together oats, flour, powder, salt and soda.  Stir into peanut butter mixture but do not over mix.  Drop onto a baking sheet in 1 1/2 tablespoons round. Gently press to flatten and bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.  Cool on a cooling rack, and don't spoil your dinner.

Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cooking Time: 15 minutes | Total Time:25 minutes

Kalyn November 11, 2009 at 4:10 pm

Oh my, saving the recipe right now. I would probably use all Splenda, but I bet they're still good!

Marguerite November 16, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Watch out for Splenda…it can cause severe allergic reactions (it is processed with chlorine) – - itchy throat, hard to breathe, etc. I’ve just started using PureVia and it’s great! (Stevia with no werid after-taste.)

kickpleat November 11, 2009 at 6:50 pm

I love cookie anything! These look great.

Sarah November 12, 2009 at 2:25 am

These look perfect, just the sort of thing I was wanting. Going to make them for sure!! (It is me by the way)

Nina Timm November 12, 2009 at 6:07 am

They sure do look yummee. Healthy is an added bonus!!

Sophie November 12, 2009 at 10:38 am

Thee cookies look so healthy& so tasty too!

Patricia Scarpin November 13, 2009 at 11:52 am

I'm always searching for good cookie recipes and this is one!
They look delicious.

Sarah November 13, 2009 at 8:35 pm

Made these last night (though no coconut in the house unfortunately)and they turned out great! Very tasty.

Katerina November 13, 2009 at 8:36 pm

Sarah – awesome! So glad to hear it.

Deborah November 14, 2009 at 4:35 am

I've been looking for a good healthy cookie recipe!

Fitness Now March 30, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Hey, great site… You have got some awesome information and Il be back for sure.. Thanks

cody F May 19, 2010 at 6:14 pm

thank you so much for recipe, this is the best i’ve came across so far…they are jammed with good nutrition and it made over 20 big cookies for me, and with only around 2.5 grams of sugar a cookie (yes i did the math =]) they are a great snack!! thank you so much!!!!

katerina May 20, 2010 at 10:00 am

cody – I am thrilled you enjoyed them! I was really pleased with how they turned out too, come back often!

keia July 12, 2010 at 2:03 pm

i love these cookies. i didn’t have coconut at home to put into them but i did dice an apple and mix in the cookies, and there very yummy.

1day July 15, 2010 at 10:04 pm

If I only have sweetened coconut, how much less sugar should I add to balance it out?

katerina July 16, 2010 at 10:33 am

1day – I haven’t tried this myself but these cookies aren’t overly sweet to begin with, maybe slightly less of the brown sugar by a tablespoon or so? I wouldn’t remove that much.

Heather July 18, 2010 at 6:24 pm

I adore these cookies. I’m making them for the second time tonight.

Heather S. March 2, 2011 at 11:21 am

Love these cookies! It is a nice homemade snack to have around the house for the little ones, without having to see guilty about it! Thanks for sharing!

katerina March 2, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Heather – I am so glad you enjoy them, that is exactly how I feel too.

Kat May 20, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Unfortunately I don’t have brown sugar in the house right now and I really want to make some cookies! Will white sugar taste as good?

katerina May 22, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Kat – Brown sugar will help the cookies stay moist, but if I was out of brown sugar I would definitely substitute. Let me know if you do!

Jaime June 17, 2011 at 9:24 pm

These were great! I made them tonight, but of course, I had to go and change the recipe. Applesauce instead if eggs, half the oil, half a banana, and extra peanut butter and coconut. Also, just did 1 cup of turbinado. Yum! Thanks!

katerina June 18, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Jamie – i will have to try the banana thing, I love peanut butter and banana as a combination!

Jen August 15, 2011 at 2:08 am

These were so yummy. I didn’t feel guilty about eating them and they had a nice fluffy peanutbutter taste. Will definitely make again. Thanks for the recipe!

katerina August 15, 2011 at 9:10 am

Jen – oh so glad they were a hit! They are one of my favorites too. I need to update these pictures, as I think they could look sexier than they do.

Jen August 17, 2011 at 4:50 pm

These cookies are a hit at my house – much better than plain old peanut butter cookies – love the recipe! Thanks!

Holly August 22, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Just made these with my two year old and they are delicious. These are going in my permanent file. Thank You!

katerina August 23, 2011 at 9:24 am

@Jen – good! I really need to make another batch, you are making me want them too.

@Holly – so glad :) I love hearing that.

Shayla September 29, 2011 at 11:45 am

I found this recipe in the morning, was excited to see I had all the ingredients on hand, and promptly made em later in the afternoon. Yummy yum!! I love the combo of peanut butter and coconut. I also used coconut oil instead of canola and WOW!! That just added to to divine coconut flavor. Yes, a total coconut lover here :D

Thanks for this recipe. I tend to only bake with whole grain flour and am always happy to find a recipe this good!

katerina September 30, 2011 at 9:11 am

@Shayla – Thanks Shayla so glad you enjoy it, I will have to try it with coconut oil one of these days.

This recipe is actually running in an edition of Canadian Living magazine for the 2011 Xmas season, so keep your eyes out!

Holly October 29, 2011 at 4:14 pm

little dry – or is that just my cooking… tehheee

katerina October 29, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Sorry to hear that Holly, what kind of peanut butter did you use?

Joanna November 22, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I just made these and the batter was really ‘dry’. I couldn’t scoop them onto the cookie sheet, but rather had to hand form them. They are in the oven, so we’ll see how they turn out. Crossing my fingers they are still ok and not too crumbly.

katerina November 24, 2011 at 1:36 am

Did they work out? It is a dry-ish cookie batter. (sorry for the delay I’ve been traveling)

ginny December 17, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Wow thank you so much I have been looking for this recipe for years I did not have the canola oil I used the local vegetable oil instead and with selfraising flour, I extremely enjoyed them, I wil try the next with whole wheat flour, thank you once again …

katerina December 18, 2011 at 8:19 pm

any vegetable oil should work! Glad you enjoyed them.

aleisha January 15, 2012 at 9:22 pm

mmm.. these were delicious!!! my mum loved them, and she absolutely HATES peanut butter. with a passion! she won’t go near the stuff (usually) but these looked so good she couldn’t resist. my brother loved them too and he won’t go near anything remotely healthy. so I think it’s fair to say these were a big hit (:

katerina January 16, 2012 at 8:11 am

Love to hear it aleisha :)

t January 18, 2012 at 9:07 pm

If u use coconut oil instead of canola and splenda or coconut sugar instead of sugar and brown sugar it actually would make it a health food.

katerina January 22, 2012 at 9:40 am

Good tip!

Valarie January 24, 2012 at 11:39 am

If you reduce the oil, what do you suggest as a substitute for the moisture? Applesauce? Almond Milk? ???

katerina January 24, 2012 at 11:47 am

I would try applesauce, but I haven’t tested that either.

Nicki May 7, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Just what I need to use up the oats in my cupboard… Just took them out of the oven and they are delicious, thanks :)

katerina May 8, 2012 at 7:44 am

Awesome, thanks for reporting back!

Jeni July 9, 2012 at 11:34 am

Subbed coconut oil for the canola and added ground flax – they’re in the oven now! Can’t wait to try them!!!

katerina July 9, 2012 at 11:36 am

Excellent, hopefully they are excellent, I could use one right now.

Maria September 13, 2012 at 10:02 am

Why are you using canola oil? That makes the whole recipe unhealthy. But other than that that is delicious. I want to make it right now.

katerina September 16, 2012 at 10:13 am

Feel free to substitute another fat ;)

Sue October 2, 2012 at 9:37 pm

“Oats”? Steel cut oatmeal? Rolled oats? Quick-cooking? I’m not sure what to use and would love to know so I can make these tomorrow! Also would using whole wheat pastry flour makes these even fluffier, I wonder?

katerina October 2, 2012 at 11:41 pm

I have actually used whole oats and quick oats for this recipe. Never steel cut :)

I would love to hear how they turned out with WW Pastry flour! I am a big fan of that stuff!

Sue October 2, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Thanks Katerina. Will let you know!

Sue October 3, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Used rolled oats, organic Coconut oil, chunky “natural” peanut butter, and WW pastry flour. Once they were in the oven, I realized I’d totally forgotten to add the coconut! :-( They took a bit longer to brown, closer to 16 minutes in a convection oven at 350 (with two cookie sheets , each on its own rack). And I ended up with 32 cookies using 1 1/2 rounded tbsp each. They are wonderful! Bet they’ll be even better with the coconut next time. Or banana or apple, as others have commented. Definitely will make these often.

Sherri October 19, 2012 at 5:08 am

I followed the recipe exactly but these turned out horribly dry! Flavor was good. I even added a mixture of one more egg, about 1/4 more oil, and a bit more peanut butter to the dough to try and help but they still came out super dry.

I did not make but one batch and saved the rest of the dough in a big zip-loc, hoping to find a way to fix it. Any ideas?

katerina October 19, 2012 at 6:19 pm

@Sherri I am sorry to hear that they turned out so dry, but I have to wonder why you added more egg, oil and peanut butter to the dough? It is a dry batter but has always baked up fine for me. I have even had my husband recipe test it successfully.

I suggest not modifying the recipe before baking next time and trusting it.

Sherri October 21, 2012 at 2:16 am

Hi again; I added the extra egg/oil/peanut butter just trying to get them to stay formed for baking. When I tried dropping onto the baking sheet I was just getting a pile of ingredients, in other words they weren’t holding together at all as “dough” in any way so that’s why I tried that.

katerina October 22, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Hmm, then my only other thoughts are that either your flour was very dense (or measured too generously?) or your peanut butter not very wet? This batter is definitely on the dry side, and requires some elbow grease to come together but it has always held together for me and baked up fine. Better luck next time!

Carrie January 14, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Hmm, I found my dough to be extremely dry like Sherri above. It was so dry that the chocolate chips that I added just fell out of the batter and the dough hardly stayed together on the cookie sheet. I am wondering if, as you suggested above, the peanut butter I used was far too dry. It’s the kind that is all natural (no oil added – just peanuts!) and is rather dry. I would bet swapping peanut butters (using a “natural” one with oil) might help with the dryness! Just a thought.

katerina January 16, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Sorry to hear it was so dry, they are a VERY dry batter, but they do cook up fine, that said I have never added chocolate chips.

Marilyn January 15, 2013 at 10:41 pm

I just made these. They are pretty good. I did change the recipe a bit. I didn’t have quite enough peanut butter so I added a banana. I also used half oil and half applesauce and about a 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp cinnamon. And I added about 1 cup of chocolate chips.

Carroll April 22, 2013 at 12:08 am

I just baked a batch following the directions except using chunky peanut butter and adding one cup of butterscotch chips. They held together beautifully, but seemed a bit greasy handling. They look perfect out of the oven, now for the taste test, the best part! next time I will try replacing oil with mashed banana and applesauce as noted in the other posts.
Thank you for this recipe!

Bauchmuskelübungen July 2, 2013 at 2:32 am

Hi there, I log on to your blog regularly. Your story-telling style is awesome,
keep doing what you’re doing!

Alan November 27, 2013 at 12:43 am

Packaged shredded coconut is kept moist with propolyn glycol. It is a de-icing agent for aircrafts.

katerina November 27, 2013 at 1:15 am

Thanks for the tip! It isn’t listed as the ingredient in my Bobs Red Mill coconut.