Don’t throw away your leftovers: transform them. Brisket makes a great soup or a nice pasta but my favorite way to use up leftover brisket? In sandwiches for lunch.
These sandwiches use sharp mustard and swiss along with a very quickly pickled cabbage to make this leftover brisket not feel much like leftovers.
Leftover Brisket, Swiss and Fennel Pickled Cabbage Sandwiches(serves 2)
1. Gently pulverize the fennel seeds with a mortar and pestle. Combine the vinegar, sugar, fennel, salt and a bit of pepper in a small saucepan. Being to a boil and stir until sugar and salt are dissolved. Place the cabbage into a bowl. Remove the vinegar from the stove and pour over the cabbage. Allow to sit for at least 15 minutes, tossing regularly. Drain.
2. In the meantime reheat the brisket and any leftover sauce in a small saucepan. Use a fork to tear it apart. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if necessary.
3. Preheat the broiler or your toaster oven.
4. Cut two portions of bread off of the baguette and slice in half lengthwise. Spread both sides with Dijon. Divide the beef between the two bottom halves of the bread and top with sliced Swiss. Divide the cabbage between the top halves and top with more Swiss cheese. Broil until bubbly.
5. Press the bread together into sandwiches and serve hot