Oatmeal and Nutella Cookie Recipe

by katerina on April 27, 2011

If you are a fan of the Healthy Peanut Butter, Oatmeal and Coconut cookies you should try this similar cookie recipe with hazelnuts and nutella. Still, full of healthy oats and whole grain flour these cookies are chocolatey and rich in a way the peanut butter cookies are not. However, they are still healthy and dense enough to make a healthy snack or a nice addition to breakfast.

Be warned this nutella cookie recipe makes a lot, but don’t despair you can freeze them easily or keep them in a sealed container and they will stay fresh for at least 4 days.

Nutella and Oatmeal Cookie Recipe

(48 cookies)

2/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup nutella
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3 cup oats
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup hazelnuts
1/4 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375F. Beat together oil and nutella then beat in eggs, sugar and vanilla. In a separate bowl mix together oats, flour, baking powder and soda. Stir into nutella mixture but do not over mix. Using the back of a heavy pot, gently crush the hazelnuts, so they are still chunky but no longer whole, stir in along with the chocolate chips. Drop onto a baking sheet in rounds about 1 1/2 tablespoons big. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a cooling rack, and don't spoil your dinner.

Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cooking Time: 10 minutes | Total Time:25 minutes

Karyn April 27, 2011 at 7:04 am

1) oatmeal cookies are pretty much the only good cookies to me.

2) i’ve never tried/eaten nutella (gasp!) but i’ve been told i’ll like it given some of my other tastes.

1+2 = i’ll have my roomie (who likes to bake) make these for me hahah!

Tasha April 27, 2011 at 7:15 am

The whole wheat flour and oats pretty much cancel out the nutella and chocolate chips, right? I’m pretty much going to have to make these now, they sound so yummy.

CouCou April 27, 2011 at 1:58 pm

ou la la !!…….. This recipe does sound like the next favorit cookies recipe for my girls ! I know what we are going to bake this week-end !! Thanks :-)))
And if you “don’t know” what to do with the rest of your nutella, I highly recommend Crepes au Nutella :-))

katerina April 28, 2011 at 9:49 am

Karyn – ha I love your lists. And that you get your roommate to bake for you!

Tasha – totally cancels. Its like when you have grapes and Camemebert. Totally cancels itself out.

Coucou – I totally associate nutella with france you know? I should try with crepes.

melissa@IWasBornToCook April 28, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Anything including Nutella works for me! These look delicious :)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit April 28, 2011 at 7:26 pm

My boyfriend is obsessed with nutella. He would love these! What a great breakfast cookie.

Rachel @ Bakerita April 29, 2011 at 12:04 am

I’ll definitely be making these! I love oatmeal cookies and Nutella and a breakfast worthy cookie?! Who can pass that up??

I’m sure my sister will enjoy them as well, as she’s in college and rarely has time for a whole meal. Thanks a ton for the recipe.

katerina April 29, 2011 at 9:53 am

melissa – yes indeed, you just can’t go wrong. You should’ve seen me trying to consume it out of the jar with a baguette while driving. Not my finest moment.

Leanne – I really don’t think it is that bad as far as obsessions go

Rachel – they are such great snackers I threw them in ziplocs and took a few to work for afternoon snacks.

Isabelle April 29, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Parting with an entire half cup of Nutella will probably be hard, but these cookies look like they’d be worth it. :) Besides, the fact that they’re made with oatmeal means I can pretend they’re actually good for me… right?

elizabeth April 30, 2011 at 1:14 pm

These look great. I always joke that I prefer to eat my oatmeal in cookie form.

Peggy May 2, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I haven’t had a really good oatmeal cookie in quite some time. I think that’s about to change! These cookies look absolutely delicious!

katerina May 3, 2011 at 10:22 am

Isabelle – well you aren’t parting for it for long.

elizabeth – me too.

Peggy – I just love oatmeal cookies.

emma May 5, 2011 at 7:44 pm

these are delish but for some chocolate obsessed people like me, the need more chocolate. i suggest adding extra chocolate chips and maybe some cocoa powder? or more nutella. it just needs that chocolate kick. other than that these are yummy!!!

one more secret of mine is always add extra vanilla extract. it makes everything richer and have a more distinct flavor.

Emma May 6, 2011 at 12:29 pm

My husband loves having cookies in the house to take and snack on at work. So, I’m always on the hunt for a new and better cookie recipe. Since we try to eat healthy, I was excited to see your recipe that used oil, ww flour, and very little sugar. I actually made these with half nutella and half p.b. (I want to try them with all nutella next time, though) and found them to be delightfully tasty and with that great oatmeal texture. Any tips on how to keep the choc. chips from all falling to the bottom of the bowl since they don’t stick to a batter that uses oil? (I didn’t put chips in these because I’ve had bad luck with oil based oatmeal cookies and choc. chips in the past.)

Thanks for the great recipe!

katerina May 6, 2011 at 2:10 pm

emma – oh dear! I would say more chocolate chips or nutella? I was looking for something on the light side, but I am not a fanatic- let me know if you adapt and try?!

Emma – Hmm, I haven’t encountered that myself. I know with berries and muffins you can toss them in flour first and that helps them not sink..

(wow two emmas made my cookies at the same time, what are the odds?)

Camille July 8, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Anything with Nutella is wonderful in my book!! Thanks for sharing! I am featuring this on my blog today- feel free to come by and check it out!
Camille @

Rikk and Sierra July 17, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Great Recipe.
For an extra twist we made some mods.

We made a couple did some taste tests then added coconut flakes and doubled the chocolate chips. We then added a couple tablespoons of peanut butter.

Thanks for the recipe

katerina July 18, 2011 at 8:24 am

Rikk – coconut sounds like a great addition!

sarah December 12, 2011 at 6:43 pm

where do the chips come in at? do i mix it in with the flower and oats?

katerina December 12, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Stir them in with the hazelnuts!

steph January 6, 2012 at 1:47 pm

What does 1 C of oats mean?
1 cup or is that another unit completely?

katerina January 6, 2012 at 1:48 pm

yes. it is just a shorthand, I will adjust it.