Provencal Beef Shank Stew Recipe

by katerina on February 3, 2010

This beef shank recipe is why I love to cook. Simple, rustic and easy preparations lead to an amazing gravy full or lush flavour. Oh, how I love braised, stewy comfort food.

Next time I would definitely serve this beef shank recipe on mashed potatoes or risotto, the gravy is delicious and the noodles didn’t soak it up as much as I would like. (Please forgive the le creuset ad above, This was the first time I used the pot and I didn’t realize that was a sticker, duh.)

Beef Shank Stew

Adapted from Laylita's Recipes

3 tablespoon olive oil
2.5lbs bone in Beef Shank, chopped into large pieces
2 medium red onion, sliced
4 large carrots, peeled and sliced
1 1/2 cups red wine
1 big can whole tomatoes, cut up in their juices
a big pinch fennel seeds
1 tablespoon herbs de provence
salt and pepper

In a large dutch oven heat olive oil on medium and sear beef shanks in batches until browned all over, remove to a plate. Add onions and cook until caramelized, stirring regularly. Add carrots, wine, tomatoes, herbs de provence, fennel, beef shanks, and salt and pepper. Bring to a gentle simmer and simmer for 2-4 hours or until meat is nice and tender (mine took just under 4 hours.) Serve on top of a hearty starch (mashed potatoes, risotto etc)

Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cooking Time: 200 minutes | Total Time:210 minutes

Ed Schenk February 3, 2010 at 7:04 am

Great cut of meat! Lots of gelatin and marrow too.It makes a great braised dish.

Karyn February 3, 2010 at 7:10 am

that looks great! i love how it doesn’t really look like a stew, more of a hearty meal with lots of juices

Wendy (The Local Cook) February 3, 2010 at 7:14 am

This looks delicious! Can’t go wrong with wine and herbes de provence.

Nuri February 3, 2010 at 9:12 am

OMG delicious!!

nina February 3, 2010 at 10:07 am

What is not to love….pasta with that intense meaty sauce…..delightful!!!

Kitchen Roadie February 3, 2010 at 1:37 pm

This is one of those recipes that everyone enjoys! Beef shank always reminds me of good down-home cooking and I love using fennel seeds in my dishes as well. Thanks for sharing!

Emily February 4, 2010 at 8:13 am

I’ve never had or cooked beef shanks before. But this dish looks absolutely wonderful. It looks like it’s real comfort food, perfect for a chilly winter.

Grace April 21, 2010 at 11:37 am

Just finished cooking. This is a keeper! Thanks. First stew with wine that worked for me.

katerina April 21, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Grace – so glad to hear it worked for yoU!

Anniegi May 17, 2010 at 8:34 pm

I had never cooked beef shanks b4 either. I didn’t have red wine,fennel, red onion or herbs de provence but used some cranberry/pomegranite juice and some fresh rosemary & parsley,& a lovely vidalia onion. I put this together then went outside, worked in the garden, stirred a few times and came into the most mouth watering aroma. Let me tell you, keeper doesn’t do this justice! I can only say it tasted even better than it smelled. I only eat red meat @ 1-2x a month & this was a lot tastier than the last piece of beef I ate. fast prep, very economical I’d say this is going to be well received when I make this for others. Thank you for your site Katerina, I’ve tried so many new foods & techniques with your recipes. I’ve been cooking for almost 30 years.

katerina May 17, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Anniegi – So glad to hear it! I don’t eat that much red meat either, and when I do this is exactly the type of thing I like to make. And flank steak.

Alison June 26, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Looks amazing. Wish it wasn’t a zillion degrees here (Atlanta) or I would make this tomorrow.

And I laughed out loud at your Le Creuset confession.

Alesha February 9, 2011 at 6:19 pm

This was awesome! My husband loved it, it was easy to make, and it gave me something good to make with the random cuts of meat that came with our quarter cow. :)

katerina February 9, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Alesha – I am so glad you enjoyed it, I just loved the herbs de provence

Jeanne Marie October 8, 2012 at 4:42 am

Took a chance on my first beef shank when I saw one at the farmers market yesterday. Made this exactly to the recipe today, and it was wonderful. My husband got out some bread to sop up the remaining sauce in his bowl, so you know this is a keeper. Thank you!

Joe November 23, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Basically is this osso buco right? Your just using beef shanks instead of veal. No difference except the age of the cow right?

katerina November 24, 2012 at 6:00 pm

It is similar to osso buco, in that it is braised shanks with wine and tomatoes. However, the spicing is different than osso buco.

Anna January 16, 2013 at 10:26 pm

This was so delicious! Lovely sauce that had a delicious taste and colour.
I added some white kidney beans the next day for added protein because my family at much of the beef.

katerina January 17, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Awesome! White beans totally work with the Proven├žal theme as well.

Chelsie October 16, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Making this right now. It smells awesome! Quick question though…Do I leave this covered as it simmers?

katerina October 17, 2013 at 12:55 am

Hey Chelsie, yes keep it covered – just make sure it doesn’t boil.

Kirsten December 10, 2013 at 5:24 am

just wanted to give you mad props for this recipe! I’m here taking a look because i plan to make it tomorrow night and reheat later for a potluck. I LOVE this recipe – it’s a go to winter dish especially if i want to impress! The unusual cut of meat makes it fancy – and beef shanks are a very budget cut of grass fed beef which is what we eat. I’ve made it at least half a dozen times. Thank you!

katerina December 10, 2013 at 6:19 pm

So glad you enjoy it Kirsten!