Pumpkin Pie Buttercream Icing Recipe

by katerina on November 16, 2009

I know real buttercream involves eggs and a double boiler, but this is an easy way to make a cheater buttercream icing or frosting that is a fun topping for pumpkin cake or cupcakes.  If you have pumpkin pie spice you can substitute for the cloves, ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon as that is what the combination creates.  Add more spices to taste if you want a zippier icing.

Oh and speaking of things with zip? I don’t own a pastry bag, I use ziploc bags, put your icing in, cut a hole in the bottom and start squeezing. Works very well in a pinch.

Pumpkin Pie Icing

(ices 12 cupcakes)

1 cup soft butter
3 cups icing sugar
1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
red and yellow food colouring (optional)
~1 tablespoon milk (optional)

In your stand mixer or using a hand mixer whip the butter until soft and even. Add the spices and icing sugar on low. When combined turn up the speed to medium and mix for 2 mins.  Add in vanilla and milk if necessary to get the consistency you are looking for. Add in food colouring to get a sight orange-y colour.  (For me the ratio was ~5:1 yellow to red.)

Charmian @ Christie's Corner November 18, 2009 at 3:27 am

This sounds wonderful. I can't wait to try this on spice cake.

Sarah September 21, 2010 at 9:40 am

If I want to use pumpkin pie spice instead, how much do I need to use?

katerina September 21, 2010 at 9:06 pm

try a teaspoon.

Karen Dawkins October 15, 2011 at 2:01 pm

YUM YUM YUM!!!! I made your pumpkin pie cupcakes and made a modified version of this buttercream, simple cinnamon, for dessert night with friends. Everyone loved them, from the 5 year old through the adults.

THANKS!

katerina October 18, 2011 at 9:07 am

glad you liked it Karen!

Melissa May 23, 2013 at 2:40 am

I made this according to the recipe today and it not only doesn’t look like this picture, it runs ridiculously. It does not take shape at all. I even refrigerated the icing for 3 hours before applying. It tastes ok, super sweet. I used a ziplock bag as a pastry bag to make it look nice and a minute later it was running off unto the plate. Pretty upset. The cupcake recipe is great though.

katerina May 23, 2013 at 5:07 pm

I am very sorry to hear that, and quite surprised. Butter will harden if refrigerated. Did you use all butter as the recipe specified?