Banana Ice Cream Recipe

by katerina on January 6, 2010

You will never look at a banana the same way after you have tried this. When I looked at bananas I used to see a conduit to peanut butter or a natural oatmeal sweetener, now I see ice cream.

But not just any ice cream, in fact, not even ice cream at all – at it’s simplest this frosty treat is just bananas.  This dessert is raw, vegan, natural, and easy to make without an ice cream maker. In fact it makes an amazing afternoon snack or even breakfast.  Of course you can fancy it up with wonderful things like dark chocolate, almonds, peanut butter or coconut. Toppings make any dessert more fun.

I do not subscribe to the belief that fruit is bad if you are on a diet. I know there was some publicity awhile back about how you weren’t allowed to eat bananas on the Biggest Loser diet.

Well, eat this.  (Oh and we have eaten it. Every night in the last week.)

Banana Ice Cream

(1 serving)
Adapted from Choosing Raw

2 1/2 frozen bananas
2 tablespoons water (or almond milk)
optional add-ins: a Chunk of dark chocolate, a handful of almonds, etc get creative.

I used my vita mix to do this, but I understand a food processor also works, or another powerful blender. I just blend for about a minute using the vita mix pulse to push the bananas and ice down, but here are instructions on making it with a food processor.

This needs to be consumed immediately since it is a soft serve texture. Don't forget to top it with fun things like chocolate, fruit and nuts.

Gena January 6, 2010 at 7:22 am

Your rendition is gorgeous! Great photo.

Karyn January 6, 2010 at 10:52 am

omg! i love ice cream. and i love bananas. perfection here :)

L January 6, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Do you add ice? Looks DIVINE!

katerina January 6, 2010 at 9:12 pm

L – Nope, no need for ice! (Although if the bananas aren’t totally frozen, it doesn’t hurt. Of course then you end up with more like tasty frozen custard.)

Gena – Thanks Gena, it means alot!

Karyn – And, with all that potassium? Great for the runner.

Lisa January 7, 2010 at 9:41 am

Wow!! What an awesome idea. I am always trying the vegan ice creams at my local vegan restaurant, Mary’s Secret Garden, didn’t know it was this easy. Unfort. I think I’m going to have to invest in a Vita mix.

Marc @ NoRecipes January 7, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Wow that looks wonderfully creamy! My mom used to impale bananas with popsicle sticks and freeze them when I was little. This sounds like a grown up version of that childhood treat:-)

Melissa January 8, 2010 at 5:35 am

Ahhh!! I just did this almost by accident yesterday! I was mashing up frozen bananas to try and thaw them for a muffin recipe and tasted them! I had to share with my husband! SO yummy!

Kevin January 8, 2010 at 9:33 am

oooo….very creative, I never gussed, banana and icecream combination. Will definetely try out.
Thanks for the recipe

Ian January 12, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Excellent… I wonder how adding a few strawberries, or perhaps some mango would make it taste?

L February 6, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Husband is now completely addicted to this, makes it all by himself – even chops up and pre freezes the bananas!

Matt April 2, 2010 at 8:57 am

This is such an awesome recipe. Thanks for sharing it on FaveDiets.

Natasha May 26, 2010 at 9:35 pm

This is a perfect ice cream for me no dairy no soy, thanks!

jennie June 15, 2010 at 2:55 pm

When I make it I use some vanilla almond milk instead of water.. awesome!

katerina June 15, 2010 at 7:40 pm

jennie – I actually do too!

Ingrid July 12, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Yum! Yum! Yum!

Ana Goncalves January 22, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Just made this today, as it was so yummy! Have been drawn to making some banana ice cream for a while, and what better way than to make it naturally pure. I added some cacao powder, cashew nuts, blueberries and cinammon powder on top and it is divine! Happy I found your recipe, and someone who is making it also. A very Happy New Year :)

J. Robinson April 6, 2011 at 12:36 pm

I made this the other night and it was pretty amazing.

I put the extra back in the freezer, but I could not eat it the next day because it was frozen solid as a rock!

Any ideas on what I can mix with the banana to keep the leftovers from freezing so hard?

Amelia March 7, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Just throw it all back in the food processor.

katerina April 6, 2011 at 3:49 pm

J. Robinson – oh dear, I am not sure!! It has never lasted long enough to go back in the freezer.

Bay August 29, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I heard that light whipped cream keeps it from solidifying, but I also heard if you let it thaw it is just fine. I’d experiment!

Linds February 21, 2013 at 4:36 am

I’ve been making this for over a year now (normally just with the frozen banana, cinnamon, and a tiny bit of vanilla, but stumbled upon a new trick tonight that I thought I’d share. I added a little uncooked plain oatmeal to the mixture, because I thought it would add a bit of nutrition. The result was cool because it made the ice cream much more solid than usual (like just out of the freezer ice cream)! Normally, the mixture starts melting very quickly, but with the added oatmeal, it tasted pretty much the same but I was able to eat it slowly and it remained unmelted the entire time! Just a tip. I doubt this would help when refreezing the ice cream, but it was a more enjoyable eating experience.

katerina February 21, 2013 at 5:23 pm