Red Wine Braised Beef Brisket

by katerina on June 4, 2013

The robust flavour of beef brisket makes it my new favorite meat for stewing and braising. I find brisket to have a taste very similar to short ribs, but leaner and with less fuss as you only need to brown one piece of meat rather than several.

Braised Brisket Recipe

This simple braised brisket recipe uses red wine as the basis of the sauce so choose something you would be willing to drink. If you do make this, don’t forget to save some for leftover sandwiches the next day.
Note: There are actually two cuts of brisket, one which involves a fatty tip which makes it less lean, but this typically not the way it is butchered for consumers.

Red Wine Braised Beef Brisket

(serves 2-4)

1 lb beef brisket
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 carrot chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
a few sprigs fresh thyme
1 cup red wine
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 dozen brown mushrooms

1. Preheat oven to 300F. Sprinkle the beef with salt and pepper. Heat a large medium dutch oven (or other heavy oven safe pot with a lid) to medium high heat. Add the first teaspoon of oil and when it shimmers add the beef. Fry until well browned, then flip and do the same on the other side. Remove to a plate.

2. Add the onion and stir until it starts to brown. Add the carrot and allow to brown for a few minutes. Add the garlic and allow to cook for just a minute. Add the thyme and the wine and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer for a minute and while simmering use a wooden spoon to scrape any of the browned bits from the bottom of the pan and into the sauce.

3. Return the beef to the pot along with any juices. Nestle the beef in to the pot. Cover and transfer to the oven. Cook for 3 hours minutes, flipping halfway through.

4. While the beef cooks, sauté your mushrooms. Quarter your mushrooms if small, if large cut them into sixths. Heat a large sauté pan to medium high heat and add the remaining teaspoon of vegetable oil. Sauté the mushrooms until browned evenly and season them. Stir into the sauce during the last 30 minutes of cooking.

5. Check to make sure the meat is tender and transfer to a cutting board. Slice across the grain.

6. Remove the thyme and discard. Season the sauce to taste. Serve meat with sauce spooned over top.

Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cooking Time: 195 minutes | Total Time:200 minutes

Mary Soucy June 4, 2013 at 5:18 pm

This sounds divine! When the weather cools off enough to run the oven for this length of time, I will definitely try this. My mouth can’t wait! Thank you for sharing this.

katerina June 4, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Try the slow cooker?

Laurie June 6, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Hi, if I was to make this recipe, which sounds marvelous, what would I do differently and how much time would I give it?

Thanks, looking forward to your reply.

katerina June 6, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Well if you are feeling energetic I would follow the instructions all the way and just instead of placing in the oven place the ingredients in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 3-4.

You could skip the mushroom frying step and add those at the same time the meat to the slow cooker, but you won’t have as deep of a flavour :)

Mushrooms Canada June 10, 2013 at 3:07 pm

This meal sounds amazing, but I especially love the sounds of making a tasty sandwich with the leftovers. Yum! Thanks for sharing your recipe…

-Shannon

Susie July 23, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Can this be make with a different cut of meat? I have a chuck shoulder roast that’s about 1-1/2 inches thick. I’d rather use what I have on hand. I’d appreciate your view on this.

katerina July 23, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Absolutely you can. Any tougher cut with a bunch of connective tissues that will take to braising is a good choice. Chunk Shoulder should work.

Susie July 24, 2013 at 9:29 pm

OK, we just finished dinner. It was wonderful! I used the shoulder chuck roast, which was about 1.5 inches thick. For step 1 of the recipe, I fried up some fatty, chopped bacon I had and spooned out the cooked bacon and used the grease to brown the meat. I added the bacon pieces to the pot when I put the meat back into the pan to go into the oven. I didn’t have fresh thyme, so i used a dash of ground thyme.
Hubby and I loved it. I’ll be making this again next week with the other shoulder roast I have in the freezer. THANK YOU FOR THIS RECIPE!

katerina July 31, 2013 at 4:37 pm

So glad you liked it! Will have to try this version myself.