Roasted Beets & Butternut Squash with Tarragon

by katerina on October 11, 2012

In the spirit of eating simply and seasonally, here is a wonderful recipe for roasted beets and butternut squash. Despite having very few ingredients, the way the vegetables caramelize alongside the tarragon with the help of honey make for a special side dish perfect to accompany a roast turkey or a meal of braised lamb.

Tarragon Squash Recipe

Feel free to prepare this ahead of time and pop in the oven an hour before you are ready to eat. Want it to be a bit more rich? Throw a few cubes of butter.

Roasted Beets & Butternut Squash with Tarragon

5 beets
1/2 butternut squash
1 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup fresh tarragon leaves

Preheat oven to 375F. Peel the butternut squash. Hollow out the seeds and stringy part of the cavity and discard. Chop into 1" cubes and place in a bowl. Peel and wash the beets and trim the root ends off. Cut into quarters and add to the bowl.

In a small microwaveable bowl heat the honey in the microwave until very liquid. Whisk together with 1/2 teaspoon of salt, fresh black pepper and the olive oil. Toss with the vegetables along with the tarragon.

Grab a large piece of parchment paper. Fold in half widthwise and pour the veggies onto one half of the sheet. Fold the empty piece over and crimp the edges to seal. Place on a double lined baking sheet (i.e. two baking sheets) and place in the oven. Bake for one hour.

Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cooking Time: 60 minutes | Total Time:70 minutes

Cathy October 11, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Well now, doesn’t that look pretty!! and pretty delicious too! Haven’t had roasted beets in forever but remember them being very good…. So I think I will have to try this soon.

Paulette October 11, 2012 at 4:09 pm

It looks good. I’ll just need to add some jerk seasoning!

Zoya October 11, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Looks delicious. will def try.

Melissa October 12, 2012 at 1:18 am

I adore beets, will definitely have to try out this recipe! What would you suggest using instead of honey? (maybe some brown sugar?) The baby will be eating with us and she is too young for honey

Bunny October 14, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Wow! Looks delicious! I have never roasted beets before, but will definitely try it soon!

katerina October 14, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Melissa, I might just omit the honey. You could try another liquid sugar like a brown sugar syrup, but the flavour of the honey is the nice part. The veggies are sweet anyways, so you will still enjoy it!

Todd October 15, 2012 at 4:24 am

Hi there,
This looks like a fantastic recipe!
I was going to try this but I have a broken oven at the moment. Would it be possible to roast these veggies on the BBQ in some manner and maintain the flavours? I’ve never roasted these types of veggies on the BBQ and would be curious to hear your suggestions on how to go about doing it.

katerina October 15, 2012 at 4:45 am

You can do it on the barbecue. First, use foil instead of parchment. Secondly, turn on all the burners and close the lid, once hot, turn off one side and place the veggies on that side. Good luck!

(I haven’t actually tried this, but I have used the method for potatoes and stuff.)

Ashli B November 8, 2012 at 4:12 pm

This looks beautiful and tasty, perfect fall colors! Can’t wait to make it for my husband that loves beets.