Roasted Savoy Cabbage with Parmesan

by katerina on June 19, 2012

When I suggest you try roasting cabbage, please just do it. Don’t do what I did and wait a few years after reading about this method because it really is a revolutionary way to eat cabbage. Roasting it creates texture and sweetness; producing a cross between a kale chip and a roasted brussel sprout.

Roast Cabbage Recipe

All you need to do is chop it, wash it, toss with olive oil and seasoning and roast. You will have a dish with varying texture and flavour. Try pairing it with sautéed duck breast or a sweet grilled pork tenderloin. Or, you can go the complete other way and omit the cheese to make this vegan.

Roasted Savoy Cabbage with Parmesan

1 head savoy cabbage
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons fresh grated Parmaggiano Reggiano cheese

Preheat oven to 475F.

Remove the core from the cabbage and cut into 3/4" cubes. Place on a cooking sheet and toss with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Transfer to a hot oven for 8 minutes, shake the pan to shift it all around and return to oven for another 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and toss together. Return to oven for 2 more minutes.

Serve hot.

Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cooking Time: 15 minutes | Total Time:20 minutes

Carling June 20, 2012 at 10:03 am

I was going to pass of this recipe even after reading the “don’t do what I did and wait two years before trying this recipe.” I was still going to pass it off. Then I thought what the hay it’s a quick lunch fix, I substituted the two cheeses for powdered parmesean and added fresh garlic; while mine only crisped around the edges (which I preferred over going for a full kale style chip) it was AMAZING! People when this lady says don’t wait two years DON’T WAIT it took me literally 5 minutes to prep and 20 to bake, soooo worth it and with mine being more on the soggy side due to a deeper baking dish and probably over saturated with oil, this would make a fabulous hot or cold salad. Sooo simple… sooo delicious my new favourite way to enjoy cabbage!

Carling June 20, 2012 at 10:04 am

Oh I also baked at 400 because I never trust an oven over 400 which is probably another reason it didnt crispify.

katerina June 20, 2012 at 10:06 am

@Carling – so glad you listened to me and had success.

I think it is hilarious that you don’t trust a hot oven :) I rarely use mine below 400 unless I am baking something.

Janet Van June 21, 2012 at 8:27 am

My husband and I love cabbage and Brussel sprouts and esp. roasted Brussel sprouts. But I have never been able to get him enthused about Savoy cabbage. This might actually change that. Thanks!

katerina June 21, 2012 at 8:39 am

Have you tried it cooked slowly over low heat with some crispy pancetta? Like in this recipe, amazing! http://www.dailyunadventuresincooking.com/2006/11/pancetta-and-cabbage-risotto.html/

Louise October 25, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I took your advice and made this right away. Good advice. Easy and delicious, and my husband loves it!

Nandalee January 12, 2013 at 10:49 pm

This recipe is wonderful. My son begs for it. I do a tenderloin in the crockpot for pulled pork and make this recipe to go along with it. A completely different and delish twist on the traditional B-B-Que and cole slaw :)

katerina January 14, 2013 at 6:25 pm

A veggie dish your son begs for! That is the definition of success!

Franklin January 25, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Unbelievable… Roasted cabbages are so awesome… Thank you sooo much!! Your superb:-) It was so crispy..I loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

katerina January 25, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Awesome! Glad you liked it.

Andy Allen May 9, 2014 at 6:53 pm

I want to try this tomorrow but can’t find Savoy cabbage.
Will it work with any old cabbage?

katerina May 12, 2014 at 4:37 pm

I haven’t tried it with other kinds of cabbage. However napa cabbage is the closest substitute. Good luck.