Rosemary and Pepper Soda Bread Recipe

by katerina on March 17, 2010

Every time I make soda bread I wonder why I don’t make it more often. Any bread that you can prepare without rising, or in this case even kneading, is worth making any night of the week.

This particular irish soda bread recipe is made with browned butter, black pepper, and rosemary. Personally I didn’t find that the browned butter came through very well to the finished product but the other flavours were divine. Next time I will make sure to brown the butter more.

This is a rustic bread, best broken directly with your hands and dipped in Guinness and Beef Pie or apricot preserves.

Rosemary and Pepper Soda Bread

(2 small loaves)
Adapted from Epicurious

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup oats
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon black pepper + topping
1/4 cup butter
1 3/4 cups buttermilk (I used milk + 3 teaspoons vinegar for 5 minutes at room temp)

Preheat oven to 375F. Combine dry ingredients (flour, sugar, oats, rosemary, baking powder, baking soda & pepper) in a bowl and whisk together. In a large saucepan melt butter on medium heat, stir regularly until butter is browned. Stir into dry mixture along with buttermilk.

Turn out onto a well floured surface. Divide dough in half and form into balls. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Great broken apart and dipped in stew.

Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cooking Time: 45 minutes | Total Time:55 minutes

Karyn March 17, 2010 at 10:34 am

i think i’m going to have to make this for my grandma. she’d absolutely love it!

Laurie March 17, 2010 at 11:18 am

Awesome. I’ve been looking for an easy bread recipe(bread kinda makes me nervous, with the yeast chemistry and all…). Did you use all-purpose or bread flour? whole wheat I’m guessing by the color?
btw you’ve inspired me to start a food blog too! needs a lot of work still but it’s a start: http://www.cook-n-bake.blogspot.com
Happy St-Pat’s Day!

katerina March 17, 2010 at 11:26 am

Karyn – what a treat for her, how sweet of you!

Laurie – actually I just used All purpose white flour. (Updated the entry) The colour is actually from the browned butter! I will check out your blog, congrats and good luck!

Kitchen Roadie March 17, 2010 at 1:13 pm

We must be on the same baking wavelength as I made a similar version of this bread not too long ago. I liked that it was easy to make but it wasn’t the type of bread I enjoy eating on its own. However I agree that it would be perfect for dipping into a dish such as the Guinness and Beef Pie you recently posted.

Joanne March 17, 2010 at 4:28 pm

I could definitely use a few bread recipes that don’t call for rising or kneading! Love the herbs in this..a very nice touch.

Maninas March 18, 2010 at 2:35 am

What a great idea – rosemary and pepper with soda bread.

I fell in love with the Northern Irish wheaten bread when I was there recently. That’s just soda bread with wholemeal flour. I must make that soon!

monika March 18, 2010 at 6:53 am

I’m still so intimidated by bread making; this is a fantastic-looking recipe to re-initiate myself! This may be a dumb question, but how do you know when the butter is properly browned? I haven’t successfully browned butter yet…

Wilma April 7, 2010 at 7:40 am

I made it this weekend and it was really delicious and easy. I was looking for a bread recipe that didn’t involve any fancy equipment or techniques so it was perfect. I am already thinking off other flavor combinations I could add like olive or sun dried tomato. Thanks a lot!

Sarah August 14, 2010 at 9:50 pm

I made this bread tonight. Very tasty. I accidently put too much pepper in it, but it tasted great nonetheless. Reminded my family of the bread from Macaroni Grill, just not as fluffy.

daniel the bread guy September 27, 2010 at 7:33 am

hi katerina!

i rarely use bread recipes of the internet, unless there is something in it, that convinces me to try it out. now with your bread it wasnt a special ingredient or something, but the pictures.

this bread really looks stunning. i dont even know if i could eat it, since it is so beautiful :))

im sorry, im very passionate about beauty :P

keep up the good work,katerina!

daniel

Belinda @zomppa March 11, 2011 at 10:17 am

Goodness – this looks absolutely delicious and so flavorful!

Katie March 25, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Mmm…I’d eat this post- St. Patty’s Day! Yummy.

Priya Mahadevan March 28, 2011 at 10:30 am

Hi Katerina, The bread looks simply perfect! I am sure with the Rosemary, it smelt incredibly appetizing and awesome as well!

Cheers,
Priya

katerina March 28, 2011 at 11:12 am

Katie – it doesn’t always have to be celebrated does it?

Priya – rosemary makes everything smell amazing doesn’t it?