Spaghetti Squash Gratin Recipe

by katerina on September 21, 2009

I love Fall, and I love squash. I actually really like spaghetti squash, but I realized I have never posted a spaghetti squash recipe on the blog before. I have mentioned it in passing a couple of times, but no actual recipes.

Spaghetti Squash Recipe

I think that is because usually I bake or microwave spaghetti squash, toss it with salt and pepper, and serve some curry or stew on top so the squash is merely a vessel. However, since this was my first winter squash of the year I wanted to do something interesting.

So here is an idea for a spaghetti squash recipe that will please everyone. Call it a squash gratin, or a squash casserole if you prefer. This recipe can be made ahead or even reheated the next day as it makes great leftovers. I think you could make this healthier if you wanted too by reducing the sour cream. Next time I think I am going to mix in some curry powder. If you like this post, don’t forget to sign up to get all my recipes by email or via rss.

Spaghetti Squash Gratin

Adapted from (Loosely) Laura Rebeccas Kitchen

1 spaghetti squash
salt and pepper
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons freshly chopped chives
1/4 cup Romano cheese, shredded

Cook spaghetti squash. (You can do this lots of ways, I poked it all over with a fork and bake it at 400F for 1 hour.) Preheat oven to 400F. Remove seeds from squash. Scrape squash strands into a mixing bowl and discard skin. Toss with chives, sour cream, half of the cheese, and lots of salt and pepper. Pour into a baking dish, sprinkle with cheese and bake for 30 minutes. If not browned on top, turn on broiler and broil until browned. Watch closely. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving. (This reheats well, we ate it again the next night.)

Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cooking Time: 90 minutes | Total Time:95 minutes

Nina Timm September 21, 2009 at 3:55 pm

I have never seen or cooked with a spaghetti squash, but this gratin looks super yummee!!!

Pam September 22, 2009 at 3:56 am

What a great idea! I've never thought to make a gratin out of spaghetti squash/

Hurtful Truth September 22, 2009 at 9:09 pm

This looks fabulous! I would never have thought to prepare spaghetti squash this way. Thanks!

Celebrity Gossip

Hungry Dog September 23, 2009 at 8:20 pm

I really like spaghetti squash although have only cooked it a few times. This gratin looks like a wonderful side for almost anything. Thanks for posting!

L September 24, 2009 at 4:54 pm

I've only had spag squash as my mum prepared it – a la anglaise (aka plain, in the microwave) which left a little something to be desired. This looks really interesting, not to mention good!

Katerina September 24, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Nina – You haven't? They are good fun, you shouldn't definitely give it a try.

Pam, Hurtful Truth – thanks, we needed something a little different.

Hungry Dog – I really like it too!

L – I will get you liking your veggies yet!

Deborah September 25, 2009 at 2:22 am

I've never seen a spaghetti squash gratin – I need to try this!

Jennifer September 25, 2009 at 5:47 pm

Im ALWAYS looking for new ways to cook spagetti squash! This is perfect, thanks so much!

Kevin September 26, 2009 at 7:02 pm

Baking vegetables with cheese is always good and I have been wanting to do more with spaghetti squash.

Chuck September 28, 2009 at 4:22 pm

I love squash and this dish looks amazing. I can't wait to give it a try. Yummy, Yummy, Yummy!!!!

Jessica September 28, 2009 at 8:28 pm

This looks delicious! I wonder if the dish would taste as good if pumpkin was substituted for squash. I'm going pumpkin picking next week and am thinking of recipes to make!

Peggy September 30, 2009 at 1:00 pm

looks great and worth the wait!

Missy October 5, 2009 at 12:49 am

I made this delicious squash recipe today – well kinda! I purchased a spaghetti squash and didn't know how I was going to prepare it. So, I got on line and found this great recipe. Well, I didn't have the exact ingredients, so I used parmesan cheese and dried onions as the substitute for what the recipe called for. I loved it! Can't wait to try the real recipe!

Katerina October 5, 2009 at 4:27 pm

Missy – I am so glad you liked it! I bet parmesan would be great in this. Definitely a worthy substitute for the romano.

Jessica – I think pumpkin could work, I bet if you roasted it, and mashed it up then baked it would be good, quite different though. You could probably grate it too but it might be hard to manage

Fiber October 6, 2009 at 12:53 am

Thanks for this great recipe! I took your version and added some indian spices to it.

Sommer P. October 14, 2009 at 11:01 pm

Made this tonight for dinner and it turned out great! I served it as it with some tomato basil sauce on the side, the hubs ate half the dish, he thought it tasted similar to alfredo! Will definitely make again =)

Katerina October 15, 2009 at 4:28 pm

Fiber – yours looks delicious! I am so glad I have inspired some recipes.

Sommer P. – Don't you love when you can sneak in something healthy? So glad you liked it.

Bonnie Sullivan January 20, 2010 at 10:20 am

Thank you for inspiring me to make spaghetti squash! I loved it! I really like the way you baked the squash whole!

katie February 2, 2010 at 11:47 am

Made this for lunch today. So scrumptious. I used Parmesan cheese instead of Romano and I added mozzarella and smoked provolone to the top. I also mixed in some minced garlic. To top it off, I added some buttered bread cubes. I served it with some fresh tomato slices! The hubby and kiddos loved it!

katerina February 2, 2010 at 12:19 pm

katie – buttered bread cubes sounds delicious!

erika February 3, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Made this tonight – WOW!!
Thanks for this great recipe – I have definitely saved it.
One thing to note: as spaghetti squash can come in varying sizes, the sour cream amount can be varied. The squash I had was rather small so the sour cream could be cut down a little bit (but not the cheese! never enough cheese!)…
I would think a cup of sour cream would be good for a medium to large size squash, but that also depends on taste! (I happen to love the taste of spaghetti squash on its own as well).
We both LOVED this dish – thanks!

katerina February 4, 2010 at 7:50 am

erika – thanks for the tip, I will update the post.

Marcy March 24, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Finally, a spag squash my daughter likes! I’ve made variations on this, one with leftover steamed shrimp, diced, and Old Bay Seasoning instead of chives, and once with cooked bulk turkey sausage and sage or Italian seasonings instead of chives. Both were fabulous, as is the original. I sometimes microwave the pierced spag squash instead of baking, especially on warm days.

katerina March 26, 2010 at 9:13 am

Marcy – great ideas! I like the idea of shrimp or sausage. Very glad you enjoy the recipe.

Jenny December 5, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Wow, this was great. Thank you for a new favorite. I used Dublin cheese, garlic, and a little Spike. I ate a double batch in three days by myself. I made it again tonight and used fat free sour cream this time. It was also fantastic. What a great way to get a low carb kind of cheesy dish. YUM!

Carrie October 3, 2011 at 7:38 am

I have been making this for a few years now since you first posted it, and it’s one of my absolute favorite spaghetti squash recipes. Such comfort food! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

katerina October 3, 2011 at 9:29 am

Jenny – I love the idea of using Dublin cheese!

Carrie – I am so glad to hear you have been making it for years, how lovely.

John Korbar January 15, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Hi Katerina-

Wow…just made this last night and it was quite yummy. Interestingly, the taste was slightly on the “sweet” side. No complaints, however, as it was delicious. In reading the previous comments, I’m excited to try some of the variations. I have always liked spaghetti squash, but never felt I did it justice. Thanks very much!

John

katerina January 16, 2012 at 8:11 am

Yes, The squash is a bit sweet isn’t it? Glad you enjoyed it.

BobC October 18, 2012 at 5:42 pm

You say that you never posted a spaghetti squash recipe before. I have one that you posted back on February 28, Spaghetti Squash and Spinach Casserole.

katerina October 18, 2012 at 5:54 pm

@BobC – chronologically this one came first.

Jeet Yet? February 19, 2013 at 5:09 pm

This sounds fabulous! Where I live, you can’t get spaghetti squash in the winter and obviously it’s not “garden season” here in Nebraska. Lol. To use spaghetti or fettuccini, how much would you estimate to use? (Homemade pasta, of course. )

katerina February 19, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Gosh I dunno, 4 cups cooked?

Jeet Yet? February 20, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Thanks! Gonna give it a try.

Shelly February 22, 2013 at 3:37 am

Sounds great! Do you think I could use non fat Greek yogurt instead of the sour cream to lower the calories?

katerina February 22, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I use Greek yogourt as a substitute quite often, worse case scenario it splits slightly, but I bet it will still taste good! Let us know if you try it.