The next time you are looking for something trashy tasting but fully homemade whip up a batch of this rotini, inspired by a jalapeño popper. Unless you are afraid of spice you will not be disappointed.
Jalapeno Popper Pasta(serves 6)
1. Heat a medium saucepan to medium high heat and add the diced bacon. Cook until the fat is rendered and the bacon has crisped, stirring regularly. Spoon bacon out, leaving the fat in the pot.
2. Put a large pot of water on to boil. When it comes to a boil, add a heaping amount of salt and cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and run under cold water to stop the cooking. Set aside.
3. Add in the onions and jalapeños along with a pinch of salt, stir and cook until soft and fragrant, try to avoid letting them brown very much.
4. Stir in the butter, and once melted the flour. Cook the mixture for 2 minutes, stirring regularly so the flour doesn't burn. Slowly whisk in the milk, starting with 2 cups. Bring to a simmer, and continue whisking in more milk until it is the consistency of very thick cream. Add the bacon back to the pot. Simmer for 15 minutes, adding more milk if necessary along with some freshly ground pepper.
5. Stir in the cream cheese, and once fully combined the shredded cheeses, reserving some for garnish if you are planning on baking it. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as necessary. Toss the noodles with the sauce.
6. If you want to get a nice golden bubbly crust, transfer to a baking dish and sprinkle with cheese. Place under the broiler and cook until browned and bubbly. Otherwise you can just serve immediately.