Sriracha and Honey Grilled Tofu Salad

by katerina on June 27, 2011

This grilled tofu recipe is for all of my vegetarians readers, and any adventurous carnivores of course. I realize tofu is not for everyone, but I actually really enjoy the way it can be a sponge for flavours. Plus tofu lasts for months un-opened in the fridge, ready for any night you need it. If you are a tofu newbie, try cooking up a few squares the next time you do a mixed grill, I think you will be surprised at how delicious tofu can be with the right saucing.

Because the sweet and spicy marinade only has three ingredients it makes for a perfect quick and easy dinner. Tell me, if you are a meat-eater do you eat meat free regularly? Do you ever cook tofu at home?

Sriracha and Honey Grilled Tofu Salad

2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons sriracha
1 tablespoon thinly sliced red onion
1 package medium or firm tofu
Salad:
1/2 cup quinoa
1 lime
1 teaspoon olive oil
salt and pepper
1 peach
5 cups mixed salad greens
1 ripe avocado
oil for grilling

Remove the tofu from it's package and drain excess water. Wrap it in paper towels and set a heavy plate with a can on top, allow the water to drain out for 15 minutes. Slice into 3 3/4" slices. Combine the honey, sriracha and red onion in a small bowl. Pour the sweet and spicy mixture over the tofu and between each slice. Let marinate for at least 20 minutes. (Do this the day before and it is even better.)

Preheat your grill. Boil a pot of water and cook the quinoa (I boiled mine). Once drained stir in the juice of the lime, a touch of olive oil and some salt and pepper to taste. Cover and it will keep until you have grilled the peach and tofu!

Cut the peach in half and remove the pit. Gently oil the grill and the peach. Grill both the tofu and peach until softened, heated through and nicely charred. Remove to a cutting board. Chop the tofu and peach. Assemble each plate of salad starting with a bed of greens, followed by a heaping of quinoa and the chopped tofu and peach. Chop up the avocado last and top the salad with it. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cooking Time: 15 minutes | Total Time:30 minutes

Belinda @zomppa June 27, 2011 at 6:13 am

I like the way tofu soaks up other flavors too. Love the spicy-sweetness of this.

Dawn June 27, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I’m with Belinda. I love spicy sweet or salty sweet. And I love tofu too. It really is so versatile and delicious when cooked properly.

meindert June 28, 2011 at 3:46 am

Nice recipe, but a pity that you advocate the use of vacuum sealed tofu. I advise you to go and try fresh tofu, either the indonesian version that comes in 1-pound blocks or the very delicate japanese version ‘silken tofu’. Fresh tofu has a much better taste and consistency than the variety in packages. Available in indonesian/japanese shops, and usually sold from a big bucket.

katerina June 28, 2011 at 9:48 am

Meindert – I have only tried fresh tofu once, that we made ourselves. It was delicious but certainly not a convenience food :)

Kalyn July 1, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Love the sound of this; I bet it’s fantastic.

Janet V August 30, 2011 at 9:10 am

I don’t think honey is considered vegan. It’s produced by animals like milk or eggs. But this is certainly an amazing-looking vegetarian recipe. When I finish my vegan challenge I will certainly give this a whirl.

katerina August 30, 2011 at 9:12 am

@Janet V, good point. I always forget about honey not being vegan – try substituting brown rice syrup!

Janet V August 30, 2011 at 9:12 am

PS: I wonder, could this be made with agave? I forgot, I have some good, actual agave but the consistency is not as thick as honey. I adore tofu, always have, so I’m always looking for new ways to use it. Thanks!

katerina August 30, 2011 at 9:14 am

@Janet, wow fast turnaround. You could use agave too although I find it much sweeter than honey so I might use slightly less?