Stuffed Peppers with Thanksgiving Leftover Turkey Recipe

by katerina on November 18, 2009

Since American Thanksgiving is next week I thought I would post a recipe that I made last month with my turkey leftovers. Up in Canada we celebrate thanksgiving in October, I guess the holiday migrates south?

I don’t usually end up with leftovers since I am not the host, but this year I was lucky enough to go home with a bunch of turkey. I like leftover poultry in sandwiches like chicken or turkey salads or a hot turkey sandwich or a clubhouse. However this year I thought I would try something I have never made before, stuffed peppers.

In case you missed it, check out some tips on making Thanksgiving Dinner.

Stuffed Peppers with Thanksgiving Leftover Turkey

(serves 1-2)

two large green peppers
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 onion diced
1/4 red pepper, diced
salt and pepper
1 cup shredded cooked turkey or chicken
2 cups marinara sauce
2 cups baby spinach
1 cup cooked rice ( I used leftover brown rice)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided

Gently cut the tops off the peppers and scoop out the core and ribs. Trim the inside of the top and wash out the peppers. Steam for 7 minutes or until just getting tender. Oil a baking dishand preheat oven to 350F. In a skillet heat oil to medium low and add onion and red pepper, sweat for 5 minutes or until soft. Add turkey, marinara and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a gently simmer to heat through, add spinach and stir until just wilted. Remove from heat and fold in half of the cheese and the rice. Add the mixture to the pepper bottoms and place in the baking dish. Top with remaining cheese and the pepper tops. Bake for 30 minutes and serve.

Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cooking Time: 30 minutes | Total Time:45 minutes

Alanna November 18, 2009 at 6:10 pm

Oops, next week, although you'd never know it by the flood of Thanksgiving recipes in the food blogs.

PS Never worry, most Americans don't even know there's a Canadian Thanksgiving. :-)

Katerina November 18, 2009 at 6:55 pm

Thanks Alanna! You know I originally wrote this post and planned it for next week, then bumped it up. I don't usually write posts so far in advance but because our Thanksgiving is so early I did. I have corrected it.

Nina Timm November 19, 2009 at 3:25 am

Beautiful pictures as always, but I am fascinated by the flavors, yum-yum!!!!

Deborah November 19, 2009 at 4:12 am

Yeah, the worst part about not hosting is not having the leftovers!! I'm tempted to cook my own turkey this year just so I can enjoy leftovers!

Hungry Dog November 19, 2009 at 6:48 pm

These look pretty…and appetizing (often stuffed peppers are full of dried up ground beef or something similar, ugh). But these look great!

Muse in the Kitchen November 19, 2009 at 7:13 pm

I wish we'd seen this recipe last month! All our turkey leftovers are gone … (but we might be doing another turkey for Christmas!). This looks delicious. ~ Belle

Bellini Valli November 19, 2009 at 9:20 pm

Such an excellent way to feature leftover turkey. Being Canadian we will need to wait till Christmas unless it is lurking in our freezers from Thanksgiving.

Katerina November 19, 2009 at 9:23 pm

I dunno guys, I am seriously thinking about making another turkey now. I mean why not right?

Hungry Dog – I agree, stuffed peppers can be dry and bland a lot of the time.

Kevin November 24, 2009 at 12:06 pm

What a great way to enjoy some leftover turkey!