This is a bit of a creation on my part, I was craving an asian-style broth with noodles and prawns so I basically flavoured the broth with what I was able to find at the regular grocery store and some of my homemade chicken stock. another good way to make chicken soup for the sickies. All and all I was quite pleased, my only concern was that next time I would put in more cilantro!
Thai Prawn Noodle Soup(serves 4)
1. Bring to a simmer the water, chicken stock, fish sauce, lime leaves and lemon grass. Allow it to simmer for at least 20 minutes.
2. In a pot large enough to accommodate the stock sweat the shallots, garlic, ginger and chillies until shallot is translucent – about 5 minutes. Don’t let the garlic brown!
3. Strain the broth into the pot with the garlic and etc. Bring to a boil.
4. Ideally you want to cook the noodles and prawns so they finish at the same time. In my case the noodles were about 6 minutes. So I cooked the noodles for 4 minutes, turned it down to a simmer and added the prawns which take about 2 minutes.
5. When prawns and noodles are done take the soup off the heat. Stir in lime juice. Taste for salt, depending on your fish sauce you may need to add some.
6. Ladle soup into bowls garnish with a healthy amount of cilantro and a lime wedge.