Anyone else have a garden overflowing with lettuce!? Don’t get me wrong I am not complaining, I am just in need of ideas outside of salads so I created this recipe for Vietnamese spiced chicken lettuce wraps inspired by Bun Cha.
You can make it as a meal for two people, or as an appetizer for several. It is also very nice with fresh bean sprouts and pickled daikon. If you happen to have a nice day, feel free to cook them on the grill and eat outside.
Vietnamese Chicken Meatball Lettuce wraps(makes 8)
1. Prep your carrots first. Combine the pickling liquid ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and add your carrots. Allow to sit for 10 minutes, then drain and cool.
2. Preheat oven to 350F.
3. In a bowl mix all of the meatball ingredients together.
4. Heat a medium frying pan to medium high heat and add the tablespoon of oil to the pan. Form meatballs and drop into the pan. Fry over medium heat in the oil until golden brown. Flip, and transfer the entire pan to the oven. Cook for 15 minutes in oven. Check for doneness and remove.
5. While the meatballs are baking mix together your dipping sauce, wash your lettuce and pick your herbs.
6. To eat put a meatball and some pickled carrot on a piece of lettuce, top with herbs, wrap up and dip in the sauce.