Warm and Spicy Cashew and Tomato Soup

by katerina on August 30, 2011

As a kid, tomato soup and grilled cheese was a favorite lunch or easy dinner when my father was out of town. As an adult, when I get sick I still make that same tomato soup. Ladies and gentlemen, this is not your childhood tomato soup.

tomato soup recipe

This fragrant soup recipe has warm aromas of cumin, cinnamon and ginger. With your first mouthful you will taste sweet tomatoes softened with the tangy yogourt. After each sip, your mouth will tingle from the gentle spice. I suggest you make a double batch and freeze it for those cold winter months.

(Don’t forget to serve with a grilled cheese.)

Warm and Spicy Cashew and Tomato Soup

1.5 lbs fresh roma tomatoes (If you want to substitute canned tomatoes, buy whole canned tomatoes and skip the roasting step. )
2 teaspoons oil
salt as necessary
1/4 cup sliced onion
1 teaspoon roughly chopped garlic
1 teaspoon roughly chopped fresh ginger
1 teaspoon garam masala (curry powder)
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 cup cashews
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 1" piece of cinnamon stick
1 cardamom pod, bruised
4 cups water
1/3 cup full fat greek yogourt (think 10%)

Preheat oven to 300F. Cut the tomatoes in half lengthwise, gently toss with a teaspoon of the oil and sprinkle with salt. Lay the tomatoes on a sheet tray cut side up. Transfer to the oven and bake for an hour, or longer if you have the time.

Meanwhile, brown the onion in the remaining oil until it is a nice, even, golden brown. You will want to cook the onions on medium heat and stir often. Once browned add the garlic, ginger, garam masala, coriander, chill powder, cashew nuts, and tomato paste.

Cook for a few minutes until nice and fragrant, stirring often. Add cinnamon, cardamom and water. Make sure you stir the mixture together well and scrape any of the nice charred tomato paste and onions off the bottom of the pot.

When the tomatoes are finished roasting add to the soup and stir. Simmer gently for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool enough to transfer to a blender. Blend thoroughly. If you want the soup to have a bit more finesse, strain it. In our household we like the texture.

In a small bowl, slowly whisk a few tablespoons of the soup into the yogourt, this will thin it out and allow it to emulsify better into the soup. When thinned out and whisked until it has an even texture, stir back into the soup over low heat. Season to taste, you will likely want to add about 1 tablespoon of salt, but add it a bit at a time and keep tasting. Serve hot, garnished with more yogourt.

Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cooking Time: 90 minutes | Total Time:100 minutes

Cindy August 30, 2011 at 8:20 am

Hi there – this recipe looks fabulous. One question though – I don’t see the cashew nuts in the ingredient section – how much does this recipe call for?

katerina August 30, 2011 at 8:42 am

Sorry Cindy, minor transcription error! I have updated it to include the 1/4 cup of cashews.

Angela FRS August 30, 2011 at 9:56 am

That sounds Ah-Maze-Ing! I love butter chicken and I love tomato soup–I will definitely be giving this a try.

Cindy August 30, 2011 at 10:09 am

your wonderful – thanks so much :)

Christine August 30, 2011 at 12:55 pm

This soup looks delish and perfect for winter days longing for August. Definitely going to try this! May seed the tomatoes before roasting though… the texture and flavor of them turn me off.

katerina August 30, 2011 at 1:02 pm

That is fair enough, usually if I leave the seeds in I add a bit of sweetness for balance but I didn’t find I needed to. You could also save yourself the trouble and strain it after blending?

Hope you still enjoy.

Belinda @zomppa August 30, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Ooo, this is going to be a favorite one for this winter!

Laura August 30, 2011 at 11:48 pm

This looks gorgeous. As a devoted fan of tomato soup I’m always looking for new ways to spice things up. Cheers for the recipe!

Kris August 31, 2011 at 5:57 am

I wonder. . . I’ll bet I could grill the tomatoes, rather than roast them in the oven. I’ve done that a couple of times this season and been quite pleased with the results. And my romas are HUGE this year. :)

katerina August 31, 2011 at 6:58 am

@Belinda, yeah I am wonderinfg how the quickie version with canned tomatoes will work.

@Laura – sometimes I think I am actually a grilled cheese fan and the tomato soup part is secondary.

@Kris – that could totally work!

Jenny August 31, 2011 at 8:58 am

Can’t get enough of tomatoes, and I love the idea of the cashews. Great idea, thanks.

Tasha August 31, 2011 at 9:03 am

Katerina, this sounds so very delicious and such a flavorful twist on plain ol’ -but still tasty- tomato soup! The only (non-flavored) greek yogurt, I have access to is non-fat, or at the very least low fat. Do you think using one of those versus the full fat version, would really take away from this?

katerina August 31, 2011 at 9:22 am

@Tasha, the challenge is that if it doesn’t have fat in it may curdle, maybe try cream instead? Or a full fat non-Greek yogourt.

Kris September 7, 2011 at 5:12 am

Katerina, I just made this soup last evening, and it was fantastic. Thank you so much! I did grill the tomatoes whole, and it worked perfectly. I also combined non-fat plain yogurt with sour cream – about half and half – and that worked well, as well. It was totally delicious! :)

katerina September 7, 2011 at 11:31 am

@Kris, that is awesome! So glad to hear it all worked out with the grilling and the yogourt\sour cream combo.

Chrisitna September 20, 2011 at 7:56 am

Anyway of knowing nutritional information breakdown on this?? Made it, doubled it, wished it were thicker….but I am enjoying it! (‘specially with the grilled cheeses!!!) ;) Thanks!

katerina September 20, 2011 at 8:47 am

I use this site to get the calories, they provide a full nutritional breakdown: http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php

Glad you enjoyed it! If you want it thicker, try reducing the water next time or simmering longer. The tomatoes will vary in water content so it may be a little different each time.

Anna April 7, 2012 at 8:03 am

I want to try this but I don’t have an oven to roast the tomatoes and I don’t want to use canned tomatoes. Is it an absolute must to roast the tomatoes?

katerina April 8, 2012 at 9:49 am

My only worry is that you may find it a bit watery, roasting the tomatoes reduces the moisture significantly. I am sure it will still be tasty though – let me know how it goes!

Anna April 15, 2012 at 5:35 am

So I tried this last night with canned tomatoes. It was tasty and heartwarming with a nutty flavor that wasn’t too overpowering. I substituted cooking cream for the yoghurt though as I’m not a big fan of yoghurt. I wonder how it will taste if I substitute chicken stock for water. I might try that next time around. All in all, a nice recipe. Thanks!

katerina April 15, 2012 at 12:16 pm