Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

by katerina on September 20, 2011

Ordering in pizza on lazy or busy weeknights has been a staple in our house for almost a decade. Unfortunately that all changed about a year ago when we moved into a neighbourhood with terrible pizza.

whole wheat pizza dough recipe

Seriously it’s awful. It’s most redeeming quality is cheapness, because it is greasy, flavourless and full of msg. After trying every place within reach I started working on a pizza dough recipe. I have made pizza at home for years, but now, it was serious.

After 6 months in the making, and at least twenty pizzas eaten, this has become our staple pizza recipe. We have baked it, grilled it, made calzones and perfected the slow rise. At two-thirds whole wheat it has nice flavour and texture without being dense. Do you make pizza at home?

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

(makes 1 pizza, serves 2)

200 grams whole wheat bread flour
100 grams all purpose flour + extra for kneading
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons olive oil, divided

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water and allow 10 minutes for yeast to bloom. Stir in the whole wheat flour followed by the salt and one teaspoon of olive oil. Continue to sit in flour until it starts to look like a dough you can knead. (Note: you may need slightly less or slightly more than the 100g.)

Transfer to a gently floured board and knead for 10 minutes. If it is very sticky than slowly add more flour a tablespoon at a time. Use the remaining teaspoon of oil to oil a large mixing bowl. Transfer knead dough to a mixing bowl and cover with saran wrap.

You can rise this in one of two ways, quick(warm) or slow(cold). Frequently I make it to this point before work and transfer it to the fridge for 8-10 hours. I remove it from the fridge for an hour before shaping. The more common method is to let it proof at room temperature until doubled in size. For the best flavour, punch down and allow to rise again before using.

Once risen, shape into a circle, or rectangle and transfer to a well oiled baking sheet. Heat oven to 450F. Allow the dough to rise gently while oven is preheating, about 20-30 minutes. Top with your favourite pizza toppings and bake for approximately ten minutes.

Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cooking Time: 15 minutes | Total Time:30 minutes

Brian September 20, 2011 at 9:42 am

My wife and I have been trying to find a good recipe for pizza dough. I’m curious though, have you tried this using a bread machine? Would it work in there?

katerina September 20, 2011 at 9:45 am

I am afraid I don’t own a bread machine so I haven’t tried it and wouldn’t know how to correct for it. (I did find this though: http://www.breadworld.com/fleischmanns_converting_traditional_recipes_to_bread_machine.aspx )

Honestly, it is so easy you don’t need a bread machine ;)

spencer September 20, 2011 at 11:20 am

Can you freeze this dough? Maybe after its risen a bit so as not to kill the yeast?

Lily September 21, 2011 at 3:03 pm

You’re right, but it would be WAY easier in a machine. Just put all the ingredients in the machine and choose dough cycle. Remove dough spread in the pan, let rest while you prepare toppings, bake and enjoy! Three cups of flour will make several pizzas. The link provided is very helpful if you aren’t confident with the machine.

Daniel MacMillan September 21, 2011 at 3:20 pm

We’re in the same boat…lousy pizza everywhere around our neck of the woods. Will be definitely trying this out Friday Night- Thanks!

katerina September 22, 2011 at 10:07 am

Spencer – freezing dough is a bit controversial, and I have heard that it can “totally” be done, and that you shouldn’t do it because a significant amount of the yeast will die. I haven’t tried with this particular recipe, but if you were going to I would suggest rolling out the dough into small rounds (when it is basically ready to bake) and freezing mini, unbaked, pizzas. Let me know if you try it.

Lily – Does it work well? I also just see bread machines as these massive things which take up space, and I have so many appliances already.

Daniel – hope you enjoy!

Melissa March 19, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Made this the other night when I wanted pizza but not take out. Used my stand mixer to do the kneading for me.
This is the only time I’ve made homemade pizza crust that I really liked! It fluffed up nicely and wasn’t dry or flavourless.

katerina March 19, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Awesome! I swear the olive oil goes a long way too…