Whole Wheat Zucchini and Cherry Bread Recipe

by katerina on July 8, 2009

Farmers markets are a great test to my self control, a test which I generally fail. Two weeks ago I hit up the Kitsilano Farmers Market and came out with peas, kale, 2lbs of cherries, zucchini, strawberries, raspberries, garlic scapes and one lone bay plant. Realizing how much fruit I had I was determined to make something with cherries to help reduce the bounty.

Since zucchini bread was a favorite of mine as a kid I decided to make a twist on that. We used to add chocolate chips to zucchini bread, but this time I made it a little healthier by reducing the sugar, substituting some whole wheat flour and adding cherries instead of chocolate chips.

The cherries give the zucchini bread a bit of tartness and a lovely colour. Between the vibrant green of the zucchini and the bright red of the cherries it almost seems like something to make at Christmas time rather then the middle of summer. But this time of year is when everyone seems to have too much zucchini and is looking for zucchini recipe ideas. If only zucchini and cherries were in season all year round.

Oh, and umm… I made it all in my new toy, my vita-mix. You see, I can totally justify my expensive new toy, I can make freaking everything in this thing. My blender broke down a few weeks ago and it was the second high end blender that we had gone through in 3 years. At $200ish a pop the Waring blender kept getting part of it’s screws stripped and therefore stopped blending. I have been interested in the vita-mix’s for awhile and it just seemed like a worthy choice since I found such good testaments to them online. Plus I found a local business selling them at a great price. So yeah… I made this in my vita mix, and it worked great, plus it is just so easy to clean.

Whole Wheat Zucchini and Cherry Bread Recipe

(2 loaves)

2 1/4 cups zucchini, grated or chopped into 1" half moons
3 eggs
3/4 cup oil
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoons salt
1 cup cherries, pitted and roughly chopped

Note: I made this in my vita-mix, if you have one - you can use the instructions from the original recipe here. Otherwise I have adapted this for use with a mixer instead.

Preheat oven to 350F. Prep zucchini by grating it if you haven't already. Either by using the thickest setting on a cheese grater or a food processor's grater attachment. Set aside. In a mixing bowl beat eggs until light and foamy. Add oil, sugar and vanilla and beat to combine. Stir in zucchini and cherries and then remaining dry ingredients. Don't over mix.

Spray two loaf pans with cooking spray or rub with oil. Divide batter between loaf pans. Bake for approximately one hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool on a wire rack.

This freezes well, wrap in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil and make sure it is completely cool before freezing.

Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cooking Time: 60 minutes | Total Time:75 minutes

psyko July 8, 2009 at 2:56 pm

that looks amazing! my favorite fruit and veggie in one bread…how come i never thought of that? I will try it this week! My old zucchini bread reciepe is well, old, and in need of a change!! I love your blog and ideas. That rhubard-ginger compote is awsome too…
L.

Kristen July 8, 2009 at 4:07 pm

Oh I have no restraint at farmers markets!
Love the sound of this bread!

Cookie July 8, 2009 at 8:53 pm

I love zucchini bread too and usually add dried cranberries for the tartness and color. Cherries sound like a fabulous idea too! I love going to the farmer's market too but it does get REALLY expensive especially when everything looks so fresh and delicious!

Katerina July 8, 2009 at 9:24 pm

psyko – thanks! I love updating old recipes.

Kristen – it is seriously an evil thing.

Cookie – Dried cranberries, I will totally have to try that!

Abby July 9, 2009 at 1:52 am

I've never thought of putting cherries and zucchini together! It's so pretty.

Zoe July 9, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Very nice bread recipe. I love the flavor combination!

brandi July 9, 2009 at 5:46 pm

this look fabulous! great recipe to have while you can find cherries!

Phoo-D July 9, 2009 at 6:28 pm

Beautiful loaves! I love the addition of cherries. Farmers' markets are a weakness of mine too…way to much fun to be had!

Anonymous July 9, 2009 at 6:32 pm

I just stumbled on your awesome blog and I'm so excited to see this recipe! I just bought a bunch of zucchini and fresh cherries and now I have something to do with them! Hurrah! And it even uses wheat flour! Double hurrah! My 2 year old and I will be busy cooking tonight, thanks to you! :)

I love Farmers' Markets, too, BTW. :)

Mary July 9, 2009 at 7:41 pm

What a perfect way to combine 2 of summer's bounty.

Anh July 10, 2009 at 11:51 am

Great idea! And I love that you have used whole-wheat. I am trying to include it more and more in my diet!

Jacqueline July 12, 2009 at 1:45 pm

That bread looks great and even better when it is sliced and you can see all those lovely cherries. Lovely!

Deborah July 17, 2009 at 9:56 pm

I have got SO much zucchini – this will be a great way to use some that's a little different from the "normal" zucchini bread!

lili - pikelet & pie July 19, 2009 at 8:31 am

I am the same with farmers markets, I have to stop myself from buying everything in sight! I love the idea of this bread, I could make it for christmas in Australia, as everything is in season then :)

JT August 14, 2009 at 7:35 pm

Just made these but substituted yellow cane sugar, and they are amazing. Thanks!

Katerina August 14, 2009 at 7:40 pm

JT – I am so glad you made them and liked them! I think I may be due to make another batch. I froze the second one and they both still went very fast.

JT August 20, 2009 at 8:33 pm

Everyone loves this recipe. Thanks again. I just made a new batch today, but using garden raspberries instead of cherries.

Anonymous August 21, 2009 at 1:25 am

I made a few changes. I used 1 cup spelt instead of flour (in addition to the 2 cup whole wheat flour) and 1/2 c. sugar (instead of 1 cup). I also substituted cranberries and added 1/2 cup chopped walnuts. Then I baked the breads for 45 minutes instead of 60. Delicious!

Katerina August 21, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Jt – I bet raspberries would be delicious and still colourful!

Anonymous – that sounds Delicious, I like spelt flour and I bet the cranberries would be fab.

daisy September 6, 2009 at 6:21 pm

a big hit at family reunion daisy

Colette August 7, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Tried this the other day and it turned out great….tastes wonderful!

Jessica August 22, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Do you use pie/sour cherries or sweet cherries like Bings?

katerina August 22, 2011 at 7:42 pm

@Jessica – sweet cherries :) though let me know if you try the other kind!

Tracy August 23, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I made and mentioned/linked to this recipe on my blog http://www.WeeklyFoodChallenge.com, it was fantastic and a great way to use up my extra garden zucchini. Also love that it’s mostly whole wheat. Thanks so much for sharing!

katerina August 23, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Tracy – awesome glad you enjoyed, what a fun project! I think I have my own zucchini challenge happening over here :)

Becky August 11, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I had a bag of cherries, 3 zucchini, and a bag of sprouted wheat flour all on the verge of spoiling that needed using up…. this was the perfect recipe to find! I only own one loaf pan, so we’ve got a loaf and a dozen muffins in the oven right now. Haven’t tried the final product, but the batter is DIVINE! Thanks for sharing the recipe! Definitely saving this one to make again. Nom!

katerina August 11, 2012 at 8:06 pm

I hope it all works out! This is definitely a favorite of mine.